Lean on Banks 1 and 2

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Silverado1500, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Silverado1500

Silverado1500 Rockstar 100 Posts

yesterday i had the CEL come on. read lean on banks 1 and 2....this is the second time its came up. the first time i cleaned the MAF and disconnected the battery which was about a few weeks ago..and now its back. so im pretty sure it is not the MAF

today the CEL went off and all i did to it was check the o2 sensors to see if they were bad. i have a feeling it is going to come back again...
    i am also experiencing less performance in acceleration from when i first bought the truck at 100k miles. it is a 2000 1500 silverado z71

2. Rickey

Rickey New Member

Sounds like you may have a vacuum leak somewhere in your intake system. Check the lines real good. Replace your airfilter as well if you haven't already. Rick

3. Silverado1500

whats the best way to check for leaks? and is there a diagram on where all the vacuum lines are? one other thing...i have a CAI which i heard doesnt do anything to help performance... should i just take it off and see if that could help me also?

4. Badbrad469

Badbrad469 Rockstar 100 Posts

a good way to test for vac leaks is to get some starting fluid or something of that sort and start spraying it around ur motor. if it revs up, u have a leak.

5. cwbontheyfz

cwbontheyfz Rockstar

if you have a kandn in the truck and its over oiled it will dirty the maf sensor within a couple days but i agree with the vaccume leak idea

6. Rickey

Rickey New Member

I agree with badbrad, use some starter fluid. You should be able to pull up a good vacuum diagram from the internet. Your best bet is to first check all the intake vacuum hoses, and it's the cheapest way to start looking for problems. Once you get a good schematic diagram of your system, just trace all the hoses down and look for disconnections and holes, cracks, etc.
    I don't think that a CAI system would cause it to run lean, but it wouldn't hurt to put your stock air intake system back on and see if the service engine light stays off. If the CAI was causing it, more than likely it would have done it at the start of using it, when you first put it on. (unless something has come loose on it).

7. Silverado1500

another thing...even though my light went off. i can still put a scanner to it and it will read the same codes...that isnt normal is it?

8. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

yeah its normal. the computer will store codes that caused the light to come on even if it goes back off. Also do you have an aftermarket MAF or is it stock. I had to take off the aftermarket MAF cuz it would give me the same lean codes.

9. Silverado1500

i have the stock maf. and i took a plug out today. looks real lean. i also notice the engine stutter at idle, its not smooth like it should be.

2000 1500 5.3 silverado with 106k miles

[​IMG]

10. Silverado1500

if the light went off, does that mean im not running lean anymore? and should i change my plugs to AC delco irridiums?