Learn the Creed?

Discussion in 'Military & Vets' started by rileyjr16, Jun 12, 2012.

Newest Photos

1. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

How did you guys learn your Rifleman's Creed (USMC), Airman's Creed (USAF), Soldier's Creed (USA), and Sailor's Creed (USN)? The reason I ask is we have to learn it (Navy) before boot camp and I was never good with memorizing things. I have read it over and over and can only tell you the first sentence. It sucks doing pushups while everyone else reciting it. I have it written down so next time I'm doing pushups, I'll have it under me and will read it while doing pushups :lol:. Oh, by the way, I have 100 days from now till I leave so I have time.
  2. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Repetition.Repetition. Repetition. We had to recite it over and over during bootcamp.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Yea just repetition.
    Back when I went to Navy Boot camp (1982) it wasnt such a big thing knowing it before you went, but you better learn it while you were there cause the odds were someone was gonna make you recite it.
    Good luck in Boot camp. If you pay close attention and do exactly as your told, to the letter, whether it makes sense or not, it shouldnt be hard. There'll be enough screw-ups there so that if your doing what you should be you wont have a hard time, thankfully the screw-ups will take the heat off of you.
  4. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

For my fraternity I had to memorize our creed and various others things the thing that helped us the most was writing it over and over it forces you to focus. And it works for those times when ur mentally not there
  5. rileyjr16

Lol funny you should mention screw ups [MENTION=14295]tbplus10[/MENTION], you should listen to some of the crap I say...

But I did do push ups yesterday but I know it, its just when everyone recites it, they have no rythym and it throws me off so me and my buddy Hull were on the deck doing pushups for about 30 minutes while they tried to get it right. I think I'm going to wind up being that guy in boot camp :no:
  6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

You dont wanna be that guy, yea it's all a mental thing but all that time in the barrel is hard on ya and the stigma stays with you after boot camp and service school. One of the instructors knows some guy at the next command your going to, makes a call "hey you got a clown coming your way that you need to keep your eye on" and word at your new command spreads like wildfire, before you get there your already tagged as a screw-up that cant be trusted. This kind of stuff can slow advancement or make it hard to get special teams or assignments, all kinds o problems, it's just best to put that attitude in check before you get there and fly under the radar.
    The Navy really is a small world, depending on how long you stay in you'll see a lot of your boot camp and service school mates later on.
  7. rileyjr16

Yeah I guess the one problem I have is when I make a wise crack and they laugh...then I have a audience.
  8. SupplySgt

SupplySgt New Member 100 Posts

Mainly repitition. Just say it out loud a couple times each day. We didn't have to learn the Soldier's Creed before BCT, but I was on my own with learning the NCO Creed after I got my stripes.
  9. chevybulldog6

chevybulldog6 New Member 100 Posts

My suggestion is learning 1 sentence at a time. Once you get the first sentence down, then move to the 2nd and repeat both the 1st and 2nd. And keep this pattern all the way through until you have it all memorized. That is the way I learned the Soldiers Creed and the Creed of the Noncommisioned Officer. As well as the 3 General Orders.

Good Luck at BCT, it really is not as bad as you think it will be. Just make sure that you are not the screw up nor do you want to be the one that excells way past everyone else. Keep your head up, do your best and do what you are told.
  10. Coach24

Coach24 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Sounds like school all over. You are young, make a rap type rhythmic song of it. I know you can sing the redneck anthem so get busy. buckle down and falter not. We need strong service men these days