led bed rail lights conecting to cargo light switch

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by savagetman, Sep 15, 2013.

1. savagetman

savagetman Member

hi has any one installed aftermarket led cargo lights and connected them to there cargo light switch on a 2007 to 2013 gmc or chevy. iv been looking at the recon bed kight kit as well as ledglow kit and want to have it set up when i turn my cargo light on or hit my key fob the bed rail light comes on with the rear cargo light on the back of the cab.

2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

The only thing with that is that Some people leave the cargo light on and with that many lights drawing power you could kill the battery IMG_20130907_161425.jpg IMG_20130907_193201 (1).jpg IMG_20130907_164224.jpg IMG_20130909_164302.jpg I just installed these and put in a sep switch to run them when I'm in the back of my truck.. or working on something..

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

To wire the bedrail lights off of the cargo light you would need to run a signal wire from the cargo light harness to a relay that would power the bedrail lights.
    The problem is the cargo light system is controlled, at least partially, by the BCM.
    When I installed my bedlights I thought it would be simple to just tap into that harness snd wire in a relay, luckily within a few minutes I noticed a problem with the LED's going on and off by themselves.
    As with other items Ive tried wiring through or with input from the BCM I found it has a mind of its own and causes problems when wired into.
    I finally wired 2 fuse boxes under the hood, one keyed power and one full time hot, this is how I know power any aux electrical wires to avoid BCM issues.

4. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

IMG_20130331_093011_028.jpg IMG_20130330_062834_220.jpg I wired mine (or should I say SurrealOne did) to a switch in the dash. I tried first to splice into the wires running to the rear interior light and it did not work like I wanted. It satyed on until you turned the interior light switch off. Even if the interior lights were off they stayed on. Here is a pic of my switches.

5. savagetman

savagetman Member

aloxdaddy99 were did u get the switch from and who makes it, that looks almost stock and like it should be in the truck?

6. savagetman

savagetman Member

well i fond who and were i can get the rocker switches and switch holders: http://www.otrattw.com/index.php
    iv got one switch, 2 plugs, and a 2 and 3 switch holder coming just not sure were im going to mount it yet as i have the factory gm trailer brake controller in the location of the above installed switches.

7. aloxdaddy99

That is where I go them from from. Sorry for the delay in response. The tool they sell makes removal a lot easier also.

8. savagetman

savagetman Member

aloxdaddy99 how do they look at night all lit up in the cab, are they easy to see and get at. i was thinking of putting mine just left of were yours are since i have the built in trailer brake controller, but will have to wait till the switches get here to see if there is room. i was also thinking of mounting it in the middle of the cab on the over head roof conceal, but again not sure about the amount of room between it and the roof. Any ideas would be grateful.

9. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I freakin want that right now lol. Thinking maybe on the overhead console make them look like they're garage door lights. What to power? Not sure yet.

10. aloxdaddy99

I wanted to install them in the overhead console as well. The issue is the depth of the switches. I don't think they would fit. I also looked to install them below the HVAC controls but when I took the panel off there was a bunch of electronic modules back there that I didn't care to mess with. With the spot I used I still had to cut some plastic away to make them fit. It really helped having a wiring savant like SurrealOne to help make this work as well as it looks.