Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

LED dash light upgrade

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by ucantcme33, May 21, 2012.

1. ucantcme33

ucantcme33 New Member

So I was inspired by a picture I saw on here and decided to swap out my normal dash light bulbs for LED blue bulbs.
    IMG_0341.jpg IMG_0342.jpg
    However, in doing this I learned that the bulb and socket assembly in the back of my cluster are soldered together, meaning I would have had to break the solder to get them out. Thanks to an old busted Ford Ranger that was rotting away at the farm, however, I was able to avoid that problem. The ranger had the old style push-in sockets, no solder, put in the LED bulbs and installed the assemblys in my cluster. Done.
  2. Curky

Curky Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Wow, I really like that. You got me thinking.......
    GOOD JOB :great:
  3. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

That does look nice. It is things like this when I wish my truck were older.
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Me, too. It's all soldered in my 04...
  5. SierraDuece

SierraDuece New Member

anyone know if they're soldered in a 2000 sierra?
  6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I think they're twist-outs in a 2000, but am not positive...
  7. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

not sure how this thread snuck past me, that looks wicked. wonder how red ones would look in my truck. hmmm....

Alex
  8. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Red would look cool, but it would be a very big project... Everything in your truck is soldered and you would have to do radio, a/c, window switches, etc. to match. And, im not surevif they still do it, but gm used to put jst a bit of a blue filter tint on the inside of all the plastic pieces to change the color of the light and it wouldnt work well with red leds. It's doable but very time consuming
  9. jsmith4816

jsmith4816 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I was about to do this on my camaro, but I might just hold off on the car and do my truck instead lol. anyone have an idea on a 94 K1500?
  10. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Your '94 should have the twist-lock sockets. The bulbs might be soldered to them so you might need new sockets, but they are cheap to buy at a place like autozone.