1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

LED Dome Lights

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by AMac, Mar 9, 2012.

1. AMac

AMac Member 2 Years GMTC Chick 500 Posts ROTM Winner

Received/installed my new LED interior dome lights thought I'd share some pics and quick tips.

LED Bulbs Used: Size 212-2, 2 Front/2 Rear, 6-SMD 5050 type 1.72" 42mm Festoon LED bulbs, Xenon-White

Install Time: 15 min (including gathering tools)

Cost of Project: $30

1st image shows the difference between LED and incandescent, although in person the LED is whiter than how it appears in the picture.
    To take the lens cover off take a flat head screw driver and gently pry on the side closest to the windshield. My screwdriver was sharp so I wrapped the tip in some electrical tape to minimize damage to the lens cover and plastic.

IMG_0731.jpg

The second image is of the rear dome light assembly. Note that if you are looking toward the backseat you will want to gently pry against the left side. Each LED is polar sensitive so if it does not light up simply switch the bulb around. When I inserted the first LED the light seemed weak and was flashing. If this happens simply remove the LED and squeeze the front/rear metal bulb holders to ensure the LED has a good connection then try the LED again.

IMG_0734.jpg

Also shout out to @Drake_Korthos for his helpful tips and pictures that gave me the idea to do mine.

2. AMac

Here is a shot at night. They are bright and very white. Again, picture does not do the new LEDs justice.
    IMG_0738.jpg

3. jake's silverado

jake's silverado Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

nice! real nice lookin leds! I'm jealous!

4. Untouchable

Untouchable Member 2 Years 100 Posts

x2 on the nice and jealous! Last time I looked into doing this, it looked like it was going to cost $100 or more...so sounds like you got a bargin.

5. AMac

I get all my LEDs form IJDMTOY.COM have been using them for a couple years now and no issues. Always google for a coupon code prior to checkout though.

6. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Looks like a nice upgrade for $30

7. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Great job! Looks good!

8. AMac

well whatever keeps the packages coming in the mail...you know I have a bad habit of shopping too much LOL. And thank you!

9. blacknight97

blacknight97 Rockstar 100 Posts

i just ordered some similar to these on superbrightleds.com, the bulbs were around $5 each for anyone interested.:great: