1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

LED light replacements

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by redNecKansas, Mar 30, 2013.

1. redNecKansas

redNecKansas New Member

Ok guys im thinking about switching out my stock tail light bulbs for leds. Just wondering if anyone has done this and if anything else needs to be installed such as resistors or anything of the like. I am asking because i have heard that resistors will need to be installed with the turn signal bulbs.
  2. redneck70

redneck70 Member

In your case installing resistors would be a waist of money and will be a lot of extra work, your '03 will still use a flasher relay so I would just replace that with a electronic flasher relay, that will solve the hyper flash problem that your LED's will cause.
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

This is the aftermarket flasher relay I used to replace the OEM one in my 04 Sierra: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001KS6GIG

It's a 5 minute job, as the relay is plugged into the back side (i.e. steering column side) of the in-cab fuse box (i.e. the fuse box located in the cab by the driver's side door.) Removal of the driver's side knee panel (which is held in by two 7mm bolts ... and some clips that you simply pop out) will grant access to the back side of the fuse box where the OEM flasher relay is located. Pop it out, put in the LM487, test it, and then button it all back up. It's a snap. I've been running one for nearly a year without issue. No hyperflash, here...
  4. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member

Not worth the money IMO if your going to do it, change the entire assembly to an led fixture. Do the research and find a set that will put out adequate legal light and won't go bad after 6 months