1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

LED lit instrument cluster!

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by reggiecab2000, Nov 16, 2010.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Threw in some blue leds from superbrightleds.com. I love it! Lemme know what yall think...

BEFORE
    IMAG0274.jpg
    AFTER
    IMAG0276.jpg

2. 5.3silverado

5.3silverado Rockstar

Look Nice! Was It Difficult To Do?

3. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Oh man that looks so so good!! Yeah was it hard to do?

4. reggiecab2000

It wasnt hard at all actually. One of the more simple things i have done lately. You just pop off your dash trim, take out the 4-7mm screws in the cluster, pull it out, unplug it, then pop off the back with your hands, and youll see the 6- type 194 bulbs (twist lock bases). simply pull out the old bulbs(or in my case i just bought 6 new bases for ~99 cents a piece to avoid the hassle) with 1/2 a turn and put the LEDs in the base securely, then twist the base with the bulb back in and you got yourself a nice lit cluster with whatever color choice you choose. but before putting it back in, just make sure to hook the plug up to the cluster and check that all the bulbs polarities are correct, if not those bulbs will not light up (obviously) and all you do is untwist the base for that bulb, rotate it 180 degrees and put it back in. then just reassemble!
    Took me all of 10 minutes. And it was worth every second :)

5. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Looks good! I did this too, along with all my other dash lights. It's easy on the 99-02's, but 03+ all use a lot of small soldered-in bulbs.

Here is my write-up and discussion.

Two questions for you though:
    1) What is over the center of your speedometer?
    2) What is the green light below the gauges for?

6. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

That looks so sick dude, great job. I was gonna do this on my truck 'til I found out that the 03 and up clusters have the bulbs soldered in place instead of being twist-lock:grrrrrr:

7. reggiecab2000

hey pmf608 credit to you! I actually read your thread and it was my guide. Might I add GREAT write up!

1) The cover is a senior frogs sticker my older brother put on years ago, with these new lights im actually probably gonna take it off idk, undecided still, but its never bothered me.
    2) The green light is my quick alert and mute for my passport radar detector

i want to also add LEDs to my ac control unit and my headlight switch and that good stuff but i heard that those are actually soldered in and you would have to take them out and resolder an LED with a resistor.(is this correct?) I have no doubt i could do it but i dont think i could find the time to sit down and do that with my current schedule

8. Z28Johnny

Z28Johnny Rockstar

very cool. My wife is going to be angry with you, because now this is on my short list of things to do.

9. Vincennes02261897

Vincennes02261897 Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

That looks awesome! I wonder if it is that easy with the NBS (07-11) trucks...

10. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

That looks awesome...X2 on if it that easy with the NBS.

Nice job and thanks for posting the pics!