LED Load Resistors

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by TRPLXL2, Feb 14, 2010.

Newest Photos

1. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I am doing a full LED conversion on the front of my S-10 this summer, turning signals, marker lights, DRL, and some strobes. I need a total of 8 load resistors to make everything work, they make two kinds ceramic and aluminum. The only thing I have found about them is they get very hot, and not to mount them anywhere near plastic. Would I need to use the ceramic or aluminum one's for my truck, there is only about a $5.00 price difference a piece. The guy at Summit Racing and Auto Zone didn't know what the difference is, does anyone on here know or have an educated guess?

Has anyone ever installed any load resistors in a vehicle before, or done the LED conversion because you don't see very many of them done on newer vehicles I am guessing because of the cost.:glasses:
  2. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 New Member 100 Posts

Either one would work, but they do get CRAZY HOT!!! I've even seen some cases where it's burned paint off of a panel from behind...

But, if you don't want to use the load balancers, you can get a flasher that is compatable with LEDs... The normal flashers in vehicles use the load that is on them to "switch" back and forth... With the LED compatable ones, it blinks at a steady rate regardless of the load...
  3. oohyeah4

oohyeah4 New Member

my advise is just buy and l.e.d. electronic flasher instead and it will solve youre problem trust me, I did it to my tahoe...:great:
  4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

But, she also is converting her running lights, drls, etc to LED. However, because those items don't blink,but burn at a steady rate, they shouldn't need load resistors. And all the voltage conversion and subsequent heatsinking should be done in the bulb.
  5. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I never even thought about the flasher, I guess I need to research this more! Would it hurt if I put an led flasher and load resistors in, just to be on the safe side? I know its going to be tuff to find a good place to mount the resistors, my main concern is burning through wiring harnesses. Thanks again guys.
  6. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 New Member 100 Posts

With the electroninc flashers, the load balancer is not needed... The flash rate is actually programmed into the electric flasher making it blink at a steady rate regardless of the load put on it...