1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

LED Park Turn Signal Bulbs

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by RagsCo4, Dec 7, 2011.

1. RagsCo4

RagsCo4 New Member

Hey I am looking to change over the park/turn signal bulbs on 07 Silverado to LED bulbs, has anyone done this and how hard is it to do?
    I read on Recon's website that I would need to add resistors so as to no get that rapid flash. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  2. pmf608

pmf608 Active Member 1000 Posts

It wouldn't be any harder than changing a normal signal light bulb - so long as the LED bulb you buy fits through the hole. Some are just a little bit bigger than the hole and would require some dremeling. I'm not really familiar with changing bulbs on the newer trucks so I couldn't say how difficult that itself would be. If your truck is an 07 classic, its super easy.

I would suggest making sure you buy the brightest possible LED bulbs you can get because some of the cheaper (lower quality) ones won't put out much light at all.

For the turn signal, you could add resistors but I'm not really a fan of putting those in the wiring. The 2007+ trucks can have the computer programmed for LED lights is your dealer is cooperative. You just need them to program it for the chassis cab lighting - that turns off the hyperflash because a lot of chassis cab trucks end up with LED lights on the back. If your truck is an 07 classic, you just need to replace the signal flasher with an LED flasher to disable the hyperflash without hacking up your wiring.
  3. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Id also like to do this on my 09 for parking and turnsgnal and my tail light bulbs. has anyone done this
  4. RagsCo4

RagsCo4 New Member

Mine is the new body style Silverado. I never new that you could do that with the computer, thanks for the info. I plan on changing out the entire headlight assemblies with Spec D tuning CCFL projector headlights. Should look pretty good once I am finished. Thanks for the help!
  5. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member 1000 Posts

Can that programming change be made with a tuner?
  6. redneck70

redneck70 Member

No, BCM reprogramming can only be done with a Tech 2.
  7. pmf608

Yeah, your dealer would have to do it for you because it would require either a Tech 2 or the newer computer-interface unit GM has.
  8. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

sorry eletrical stuff is my weakness. yall are telling me if i switch out my front headlight turning signal and parking light with led bulbs i have to get a scan on my computer? i can just throw a resistor into the wire
  9. pmf608

You can put a load resistor in and that will work fine. Personally, I love wiring stuff but I don't like the idea of modifying my tail light wiring to put a load resistor in there when there are other alternatives. If you want to have unmodified wiring without the resistors that create a lot of heat, then you go to the dealer and have them program for cab and chassis turn signals. It is up to you though - that's just the way I personally would tend to prefer.
  10. sstoner911

sstoner911 New Member 1000 Posts

I changed my turn signals to LED...I did not add resistors...I did find a shop that had a Tech 2( shop that deals with electrical issues in vehicles)..they charge $92.00 per hour....but it gets rid of the hyper flash. Dealer wanted $126.00 to reprogram the BCM.

Dont let the dealer tell you its not possible...when you see all these new work trucks with LED brake lights in the utility beds they dont have the hyper flash because the dealer changes the BCM!