LED Speed indicator mounted to bumper of vehicle

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by Bowtied, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Bowtied

Bowtied Rockstar 100 Posts

Hey guys, Im wondering if its possible to take one of those LED light squares, the kind that display numbers and somehow get it to show the current speed of the car and mount it to the rear bumper so that people behind you can tell how fast you're going?

It doesnt have to be a speedometer or anything fancy with needle/gauge It just needs to be a small to medium sized square led with 2 digit indicator to show the current speed of the vehicle.

This is something i've wanted to do for a long time i think it will increase the safety of my vehicle by informing the vehicle behind me of how fast i'm going,

Would this be a hard thing to do by somehow tying it into the speed sensor? or maybe somewhere in the electrical harness that indicates the drive speed?

Your thoughts? (also my truck is an 04 silverado 1500)

edit: i know the below picture is a gear position indicator but for lack of a better picture this is exactly what i want, except with 2 digits showing the speed instead of the gear, mounted to rear bumper

gpi.jpg
    [​IMG]

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

cool idea. i am sure it can be done. A speedo shop my be your best bet at I would assume that they know the system the best. They may need to use something like this http://www.dakotadigital.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=126/

if you google 2 or 3 digit 7 segment display you may find what you are looking for as far as the display, you night have to build a box for it. I mostly find the .56 inch letters, but came across a 6.5" letter https://www.sparkfun.com/products/8530
    http://www.jameco.com/1/1/1802-ltd-...t-led-display-character-height-0-56-inch.html

3. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

You would actually need 3 of them, but then again that's just how I drive lol!

Vss controls speedometer, bcm does too.
    Dakota digital is a great company, I have bought many things from them with no problem.

4. the phantom

the phantom Well-Known Member 2 Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

I dont really care to display how fast im going for obvious reasons but I would love a digital display board so when Im passing someone I can give them a message like...."Hay moron.. didnt you know the left lane on expressways is for passing!!" or "Turn your damn signal off if your not turning!!" or how about "Thanks for leaving your high beams on after I passed you. It sure made me mad!":lol:I think of what messages I would display often to other people while driving..Its like a constantly changing bumper sticker.. But for right now all I can do is shake my head.:no:

5. Scott_Anderson

Scott_Anderson Rockstar 100 Posts

My question would be is it legal?
    Might be something to look into before you spend too much time and $ just to end up with a ticket.........

6. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Cool idea.. I could see it being fairly expensive. Definitely run it by a speedo shop near you, but I can see it going something along the lines of pulling a digital speedo display and sending unit from a gauge cluster out of a higher end GM car, and basically re-wiring it to a larger waterproof LCD

vvvvvvvvvvvvvv -Don't think I'd want to display my speed to anyone around me either haha! At these speeds though, it wouldn't matter much... whatever is behind me is losing anyway.

7. McClintoc

McClintoc ɹoʇɐɹǝpoɯ Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I hate to burst our bubble but this seems like a useless idea. Not becuase of you but because of other drivers. I know your plan is to help convey information to other drivers but the biggest reason for wrecks is becuase people don't pay attention. You could have all sorts of stuff on the back of your truck but most idiots won't notice it. The moron texting while dirving doesn't notice your brake lights and they sure won't notice a speedometer. Unfortunately, no matter what you do, you cannot control other drivers.

8. Dana W

Dana W Member 2 Years 100 Posts

You do realize that the numbers will have to be at least as big as the numbers on your tags, right? Any smaller than that, and the average person won't be able to read them from a safe distance, at 35 mph. How big do they have to be to be read at 70 mph at a safe distance, you ask? Probably about 15" tall, accounting for the normal following distance parameter of 1 car length for every 10 mph.

It's kinda like the "Yard Sale" signs you see all over the place, written in pencil, with characters that look fine on the dining room table from 24" away.

Spend your money on something else, in my opinion.

Some states prohibit "extra" lights on the rear end of vehicles.