1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

LED Tailgate strip

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by Ohio Tahoe, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Ohio Tahoe

Ohio Tahoe New Member

I had a 5 function LED tailgate light strip that came with my LED taillights.
    This item looked great with the LED tails. But after about a month have of the LEDS stopped working in taillight mode. But the brake, turns, and reverse functions still work fine. The main reason I bought this brand of LED taillight was they had the promotion for free tailgate strip. I called the company and was told since it was a promo item there is no warranty. I am thinking about taking the LED tails out and returning them now.
  2. Springthing

Springthing New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Strange it is just the taillight mode - have you tried to mess with them at all? Make sure they have power and that the problem is with the strip, nothing to do with wiring?
  3. hunky

hunky New Member 100 Posts

I'm starting to wonder about the quality of the LED stuff. Put the Recon strip on my truck,been on about a month and 2 of the backup lights already quit.
  4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I had 3 different 60" strips on my truck and they all gradually burn out after several months, I recently bought the 48" bar for my Silverado and I have had it for 2 years and it is still all lit with no burned out one's. I think it is only in the 60" bar for some reason, because why isn't my 48" bar burning out like the other one's? Yeah It looks kind of funny with the bigger gaps on the side, but at least it's staying lit. And as far as the tail lights I have had LED tail lights in my truck for 4 years and not one has burned out yet, the crappy thing is if they burn out you can't replace them because they are soldered to a board. You would have to replace the whole board, and then you may as well just buy a new set for the money!
  5. raiderman8112

raiderman8112 New Member

I've got the 60in White Lightning on my truck from Recon. Its been on there for about 9 months now and I havent had a problem with it yet.
  6. nickgiacalone

nickgiacalone New Member 100 Posts

7. Ohio Tahoe

Ohio Tahoe New Member

LED strip

I took the LED strip off of the Tahoe. Upon inspection it appears that moisture got inside near the wire end of the strip. Then this moisture caused a resister to fail. There is smoke damage on the inside of the tube above the resister. Since the company will not honor the one year warranty on this product. This strip was offered as a promotion item when you purchased their brand of LED taillights. I am thinking about taking a razor knife and cutting out the silicon on both ends of the tube. Then slide out the LED strip and replace the resistor. Looks like I am going to have to buy a new one any ways.

Thing that has me puzzled is the operation of the running lighs. There are wires for on the 4 wire plug for brakes, right and left turns, ground, and a single white wite for reverse
  8. kawasaki_kid

kawasaki_kid New Member 100 Posts

wait, recently, what?

i was thinkin of buying a light strip, but now hearing all this trouble, maybe not.
  9. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I seriously do think there is a design flaw in the 60" version, the reason I went to the smaller bar was because of my S-10 actually. I have had the same one (48") on my S-10 for 6 years, and it only has two LED's burned out. I had my 60" bar on my Silverado and half of it burned out within 1 year of having it, so I have had two 48" bars that have held up way better than the larger 60" light bars. Maybe it's my imagination, but I know I haven't had to buy a new one since 2006!:glasses:
  10. 520operator

520operator New Member

had the line of fire and ice bar on my 04 had nothin but problems with it. toward the end the only thing that actually worked right was the reverse lights and turn signals. otherwise when i hit my brakes only half would light or get brighter at night. not sure if ill put one on my 08.....