Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

LED Taillight Bulb Comparison - LUMEN LED

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by ffdsmokeeater, Feb 7, 2013.

1. ffdsmokeeater

ffdsmokeeater Member

Well, I finally bit the bullet and completed my LED transformation. I now have replaced all of the standard halogen bulbs on my truck, to LED (excluding headlight, fogs).

The main reason I went with this option, is because I love the look of the "instant on - instant off" of LEDs. In addition, I really like the look of the stock chevy tail light and headlight housings, so I didn't want to go with after market LED housing units.

In the picture, it may appear that I turned the lighting down on the LED photo, but I believe it was just the camera adjusting. The pictures were taken at the same lighting level.

Results: The LED's are definitely brighter than the standard halogen. I'd say by about 35-50%. As you can see in the picture, the LEDs illimunate more of the chrome reflector inside the housing. I purchased these LUMEN LEDs from carid.com. They are the CANBUS style LEDs. I am very pleased with the results. The only downfall I suppose is that they are $14.99 per bulb, compared to $5.99 for two stand halogen bulbs. But, in the end I think its worth it.

I spent $182 alltogether on LED blubs (parking lamps(4), taillamps(4), third brake lights (4), reverse lights (2)), which probably wouldn't even have bought me one after market taillight LED housing.

The only problem that I have encountered is with the CANbus system. When I activate my turn signal, it flashes at a normal rate for about 3 flashes then speeds up as if there is a bulb missing. I am calling carid.com today to try and solve this issue. The whole point of the CANbus style LED is to prevent this from occuring, to my knowledge because it has the built in load resistor. If anyone has experienced this problem, please feel free to help.

Pros: Lower power draw, brighter, instant on/off, cheap upgrade compared to after market LED housings

Cons: Actaul cost per bulb is expensive when compared to halogen, CANbus error eliminating system isnt working properly with the turn signals(attempting to contact IT)

Attached Files:

2. devil_doc7721

devil_doc7721 Member

looks good man! noticibly brighter definetly going to look into doing that for my truck

3. ffdsmokeeater

ffdsmokeeater Member

Thanks, I think it's worth it.

I'll try and get some more pictures of the entire rear and post them this weekend.

4. 2k8z71

2k8z71 Rockstar 100 Posts

Wow those are bright. What did you use for the reverse? I had cree reverse bulbs but the led behind the projector kept going out. So I think I'll stick to smd style. Can you make a video to show the difference when your running lights are on VS stepping on the brakes?

5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Keep us informed on the progress and new pics..

6. ffdsmokeeater

ffdsmokeeater Member

I used the same style LED (LUMEN LED white), only the size that fit into the reverse socket. The reverse lights are satisfactory as well!

I will most certainly make a video and post more pics when I get a chance. Hopefully this weekend, depending on how much snow we get today and tomorrow!!

7. Guerrette86841

Guerrette86841 New Member

color of LEDS?

i am also looking at the LUMEN LED Tail lamp bulbs, i was wondering if you bought red bulbs for your tail lamps (brake Lights)? Much Appreciated

8. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Well, I have to say I am really interested in this new brand "Lumen".... I googled them and they make light bars and everything (Like Rigid), but their prices are almost 2/3 less than Rigid for light bars.

There has to be a catch somewhere, either build quality, life expectancy of the LED's or how bright the LED's are. If they are waterproof or not.

9. RadoRage

RadoRage Rockstar

Don't load resistors get really hot? Thought they were supposed to be mounted to metal. How do they make them built in without damage due to heat? I also heard some recommend grounding it too.

10. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

damn that looks sweet. i really want a set of these for my old '93.... its in that awkward not classic, but not- cool like Bob Seager ust to be- look
    so it needs some suttle upgrades... but $180 for bulbs is a lot of money...

and you say they dont 'blinker' well? did you ever get that resolved?