LED watt per lumen/ load rating ? Load resistors

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by PantheraUncia, Jul 29, 2012.

1. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 3 Years 1000 Posts

I like allot of light and I like LED's so yesterday I picked up my first LED's for my map and dome lights from a decent company. They are allot brighter than the standard bulbs that were in the truck, so everything is fine in that respect.

My question comes in when LED's are more energy efficient than incandescent bulbs. Say a 194 map light (incandescent uses 2 watts of power to light it and the same LED uses 0.5 watts to produce the brighter light (and it is color adjusted (6000k).

This is great.

But I want a super bright 2watt 6000k 194 LED for a replacement that offers 4 times the light output as the energy efficient LED, but I am still within the power specs of the original bulb.

Now when we get to turn signals and brake lights that either flash or hyperflash or have a high/low power setting.

Say a typical turn signal (amber in most cases) is 5 watts and a brake light is 10w/5w. Why use an equivalent LED that is 2w/4w when I want the light output of a 5w/10w LED which is 4 times brighter than the original bulb. Your lights at night are “to be seen” other than head lights and a white backbup light.
    I want my safety lights to be as bright as possible and if the LED’s used as much power as the oem bulbs, then you would not need a load resistor or replacement flash relay to make them work without hyperflash.

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Federal regulations limit how bright your hazard, turn signals, and driving lights can be. Non-DOT external lights are required by Federal statue to be covered when mounted on a vehicle while being used on a public roadway, this is to stop you from blinding other drivers, which is why more than half the vehicles you see with the SuperWhite lights have illegal lighting systems on them, look at the package the lights came in and it clearly states "For off-road use only" or something to that affect. Bulbs should have "DOT" on them somewhere.
    Dot has to approve exterior use bulbs. Does this mean drivers running illegal lighting will be getting tickets? Maybe if you have an officer that wants to take the time to check out the bulbs and determine their illegal for street use, most times though they have other more pressing issues to deal with, but once in a while you get the officer that seems to have time to check little details.
    I've met that officer once or twice and it wasnt pleasant, it cost me money which is why I look for the good old "DOT" on all my replacement parts now.