Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

left front axle seal/bearing

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by hutch_pt, Dec 28, 2008.

1. hutch_pt

hutch_pt Rockstar 100 Posts

Ok, I have a 2004 silverado 1500 4x4. I have two leaking axle seals on the front axle. Pulled the R extension housing and axle, replace the seal and bearing (inner and outer). The problem is that we were unable to get the left axle shaft out of the differential. I have read that you can Pry it out or use a hammer and punch to get it out as well. Tried both and a slide hammer as well, yet there was no movement at all. Is there a clip or something holdingthis in? It just did not want to budge. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks!

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Pry bars on adjacent sides usually does the trick.
    It should pop out. Older half shafts had a "C" clip on the end of the axle, but you couldnt get it out until you removed the axle from the diff. Which was removed by poping it with pry bars or a good firm yank.