1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Left Rear Door Latch Just Quit Working

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by bimmer84, Mar 4, 2012.

1. bimmer84

bimmer84 Member

I just returned from Home Depot with a 4x8 sheet of plywood, but now my 95 suburban is holding it hostage. The left rear door latch quit working, and won't open. The right door opens fine, but the handle in the door jam of the left door isn't connected to the locking mechanism. It just flops around. Any ideas how to unlatch the door? Do you have to drill those rivets out around the latch? Help! This is not how I expected to spend my Sunday. :grrrrrr:

---------- Post added at 02:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

ok, I got the answer from an internet search. The carpeted lower panel will come off with the door shut. Start from the latch side of the door and pop the carpeted panel off with a "interior panel removal" tool (You know, the tool with the divided blade that goes around the plastic posts that snap the panel to the door frame). You may be able to use a large flat blade screwdriver if you are careful.

Once you have the panel off you can reach the mechanism and unlatch it.
  2. janikphoto

janikphoto Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

The door handles and mechanisms are a weak point on these trucks. I've seen countless broken units. Luckily, they are easy to fix.
  3. 84fiero123

84fiero123 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

You need a new handle or the rod connected to it got loose, second is unlikely, I just replaced my left side barn door handle a few months ago. They are made of the cheapest white metal and brake or crack making the mechanism not work. Try pushing in on the driver’s door, the one that is not opening before you pull the handle. Push the door with your left hand and then pull the handle. If that works it will be a lot easier to take the door pad off to replace the door handle if that is what it needs.

Steve