1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Lessons Learned from DIY Audio Install

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by BornAgainBiker55, Jun 13, 2012.

1. zigger215

zigger215 Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Make no concessions, go big or go home!! Just kidding, surreal is has a good point there, unless you have no life (me) and you're ok with ripping apart your system once a month (me) to add something, plan your install (not me).

You'll enjoy the focals, do what enks said though and adjust them crossovers.

Surreal, the C5 components are a steal for the money!!
  2. jsmith4816

jsmith4816 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

[MENTION=50075]SurrealOne[/MENTION]. any chance we can see a pic of this stealth sub? I am curious of what it looks like
  3. zigger215

zigger215 Member 2 Years 500 Posts

4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Zigger's provided some pics, below. I had the entire interior ripped out for sound deadening when I did my install late last year ... and failed to photodocument. I'd have to rip out the center console to take pics of my actual install. However, to give you some idea:

Here's the unit: http://www.jlaudio.com/car-audio-st...hevrolet-gmc-full-size-suv-03-06-trucks-03-07

Here's the (very detailed, with pics) instruction guide that may show you what you want to see: http://mediacdn.shopatron.com/media/mfg/9013/media_document/live_1/SB_GM_BURBCNSL_MAN.pdf?1305783853

This installation places a sealed 10" sub (10W3v3) under the center console of a 2003-2006 (and 2007 classic) Silverado/Sierra which has front bucket seats and a full center console. To do it, one must remove the ducting to the rear vents in the center console, remove the vent door arm and seal the vent door that feeds the removed ducting, mill out some of the plastic structure of the center console, and drill two holes in the floor of the vehicle through which the sub will be bolted into place.

It's a time-consuming installation ... but the result is a sub that sounds good, is completely hidden, and you get to keep the space under the rear seats for use in other ways. (This was key to why I went this route, as I have a du-ha storage bin under my rear seat and the rear seat's scissor hinge has been drilled to allow me to lock it -- which results in invisible, lockable, under-seat long gun storage in a space that is classified as a trunk in 48 states despite being within the cab!)
  5. BornAgainBiker55

BornAgainBiker55 Rockstar 100 Posts

Man, that hide-a-box is neat! Too bad there's no center console like that in the NBS. I suppose you could try and cram it into the box under the 20% Center 'seat' up front, but that's crammed full of towing stuff right now.

I'm still fiddling with the crossover settings on both the deck and the amp to find the best sound... and I'm still working on pictures, i promise
  6. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

We're waiting....... :gasp: Jl Audio makes other Boxes for the GM Trucks. On my old 02 Avalanche I had both the Center consol and the Midgate box with a single JL 500/1 powering them. NOT at the same time I put in a switch to go between the 2 boxes depending to what I wanted for the movies or music playing at the time.. oldtruckpicscreens.jpg oldtruckampindoor.jpg oldtruckpiccenterch.jpg
  7. BornAgainBiker55

BornAgainBiker55 Rockstar 100 Posts

40th Ave 4-24-12 Visit 018.jpg 40th Ave 4-24-12 Visit 013.jpg 40th Ave 4-24-12 Visit 014.jpg 40th Ave 4-24-12 Visit 015.jpg
    That too far too long, sorry guys.
  8. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts