Lets talk big rims

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by Hid_positive, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Hid_positive

Hid_positive New Member

A few months ago I was looking to buy a new silverado, crew cab ltz. Instead I ended up getting an white 05 denali I got for a great deal. In the spring I plan on throwing a set of 24's on the truck but want to find out what offsets and other little things people run. As far as sizes go. I read some people rub with 22's and others have no problem running 26's so im guessing offset and tire size play a huge role in correct fitment. I would also love to lower the truck a little bit.
    I found one denali on cardomain thats lowered 2/3 McGaughtry's spindles and coils and this is the ideal look I want for my truck when the spring rolls around.
    [​IMG]

2. 89SSC

89SSC New Member

With wheels that big, make sure you look into a big brake kit. I have a 2002 Suburban 4wd, and installed 20" centerline wheels. I had all new brake system installed (AC Delco) installed a week before the wheels, tires and shocks were replaced. All worked perfect until the oversize wheels were installed. The brakes feel like total garbage during a panic stop. Around town all feels well, but in the back of my mind, know the wheels have a negative effect on the braking performance. This is all from the increased rolling mass of the larger 20" wheels. Also, be sure to look for hub-centric wheels and stay away from lug-centric wheels. Good luck.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  3. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

^^ Good point!! I would really consider this before dropping $$$$ on new rims and tires just to find out your brakes cant keep up. Going up to 26" is a huge difference and would need an upgrade from Bear, Willwood or Brembo. Going that big can also mess up the ABS functions as well.