1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Lets talk big rims

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by Hid_positive, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Hid_positive

Hid_positive New Member

A few months ago I was looking to buy a new silverado, crew cab ltz. Instead I ended up getting an white 05 denali I got for a great deal. In the spring I plan on throwing a set of 24's on the truck but want to find out what offsets and other little things people run. As far as sizes go. I read some people rub with 22's and others have no problem running 26's so im guessing offset and tire size play a huge role in correct fitment. I would also love to lower the truck a little bit.
    I found one denali on cardomain thats lowered 2/3 McGaughtry's spindles and coils and this is the ideal look I want for my truck when the spring rolls around.
    [​IMG]

2. 89SSC

89SSC New Member

With wheels that big, make sure you look into a big brake kit. I have a 2002 Suburban 4wd, and installed 20" centerline wheels. I had all new brake system installed (AC Delco) installed a week before the wheels, tires and shocks were replaced. All worked perfect until the oversize wheels were installed. The brakes feel like total garbage during a panic stop. Around town all feels well, but in the back of my mind, know the wheels have a negative effect on the braking performance. This is all from the increased rolling mass of the larger 20" wheels. Also, be sure to look for hub-centric wheels and stay away from lug-centric wheels. Good luck.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2009
  3. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

^^ Good point!! I would really consider this before dropping $$$$ on new rims and tires just to find out your brakes cant keep up. Going up to 26" is a huge difference and would need an upgrade from Bear, Willwood or Brembo. Going that big can also mess up the ABS functions as well.