1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

level/ cap question

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by post3ll, Jul 5, 2012.

1. post3ll

post3ll Member

I just put a daystar front leveling kit on my truck and am also shopping around for a cap. My question is if i put a cap on the bed will the excess weight pull the rear of the truck closer to the ground and shoot my headlights up in the air? I dont think there will be a big issue i was just looking for some input. Thanks
  2. Salesguy1980

Salesguy1980 Rockstar 100 Posts

What do you have for a truck? Go on lears web site and pick out a cap and get the weight, put that amount in your bed and see what happens. Most trucks shouldn't sag from just a cap, if it does add a leaf or airbags maybe.
  3. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

........Around 5/6 years back, I had a Snug Top Cap/Shell on my Silverado, before going with a Snug Top Tonneau Cover, I have also installed a 2in" Rear Shackle Drop, and when the Cap/Shell was put on........the Back/Bed of the Truck barely move(Down).....IIRC they(Snug Top) expressed to me the Weight of the Cap/Shell was around 250lbs??........and as you can see, my Silverado is a Short Bed, Fleetside.
  4. Jimmeh

Jimmeh Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I had zero issues with sagging after installing my topper with a pro comp 2" leveling kit. A basic fiberglass topper (no cab side slider, regular side windows, etc.) will weigh close to 200 pounds, which our trucks handle with ease. I even had my truck loaded to the brim with everything 3 people and a baby would need on a recent road trip and the truck still sat fairly "level" (though the front of the truck has been lowered down a 1/2" before then)
  5. Coach24

Coach24 Rockstar 3 Years 5000 Posts

Shouldn't make a differnece unless you get one o dem der campers