1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Leveling kit help

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by Swatchvy, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Swatchvy

Swatchvy Rockstar

I'm wondering if anyone has any input on a leveling kit for an 05 silv 1500 reg cab short box, and the difference between torsion bar keys, spring spacers, and these maxx cam adjustable torsion bars. any input would be great.
  2. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

If you crank up the torsion bars you loose a lot of spring travel and the ride is bad.
    I did a 2.5" pro comp leveling kit with shock extenders and they work great, the stcok ride is still there.
  3. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

You have a Z71 so you need a torsion key system, spring spacers are for 2 wheel drive trucks. I don't think there is any major differences in the different brands,I'm going to be installing Pro Comp keys on mine this week so I'll keep you posted with the results.
  4. mjalstad

mjalstad Rockstar 100 Posts

The keys and the Maxxcam are basically the same thing except that you can choose different heights. So if you know you want to go 2", you might as well get the regular keys. If you only want to go 1.5" then go with the Maxxcam, but as I recall they are a lot more expensive than regular keys.
  5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

The maxxcam keys offer more adjustments than factory style keys. Maxxcams are more money, but you can do more with them. They dont seem to stiffen the ride either.
  6. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

X2 on the MaxxCam fro suspensionmaxx.com. I research them before buying a leveling kit and they were the best I could find for my truck. Ended up doing the full suspension lift instead.
  7. Swatchvy

Swatchvy Rockstar

Yea, I would love to do a full lift but sadly dont have enough funds. Thanks guys for all your input, you have helped me out alot
  8. Marcus

Marcus Rockstar

ya i think the best buy is the torsion keys. Tuff country makes them for like $119.
  9. Bert's Chevy

Bert's Chevy New Member

I just installed a pro comp leveling kit in my 2001 silverado 2500hd. It was a PITA without the right tool. I first used a 4 inch c-clamp. That didn't work out and broke in half. Then i rented a timing gear puller and made my own rig to remove and install the torsion key. I sure did learn the hard way. But now i was able to install the rims and tires i wanted and they sure do look nice. By the way the ride feelsl the same.

Bert
  10. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Bert,

Please post the pictures! Did you lift the rear or just level it?