1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

leveling kit installation?

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by thekingsphance, Jan 5, 2009.

1. thekingsphance

thekingsphance Rockstar

Hey guys, I'm thinking about buying a readylift leveling kit for my truck and trying to decide wether I should bring it to the shop to get it done or try to do it myself. I'm not too familiar with what's under my truck but I'm pretty handy with a set of tools and instructions. Does anyone have any experience installing leveling kits? If so, how hard would it be for someone who hasn't installed one before? Should I just do it myself?

Chevy Parts
  2. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have a leveling kit on my truck (coil spring spacers) It took me about 30 min per side using the instructions. I would not reccomend ready lift they are kinda pricy. I got mine @ suspensionconnection.com the brand is Daystar, and it was about 140.00 with shipping, which is much cheaper than ready lift. Just my 2 cents
    Are you looking @ keys or spacers??
  3. Perault

Perault New Member

Really not hard. Good to have an extra hand. It was hard for me to compress the shocks down to fit the spacers.
  4. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

5. walleye101

walleye101 Member

i did mine a couple of months ago., yes it has torsion bars. you need a torsion bar tool to do it properly. i was able to use my snap on 2 jaw puller and used the crossmember to take the torsion off the keys..it is dangerous to unload those keys because there is alot or pressure on these keys. it can be done but i would recommend the proper tool which is around 100.00. that is the only real problem to do this. i think it took me maybe 1.5- 2 hrs otherwise. i also did my 95 4x4 a few years before this truck so i knew what i had to do...good luck
  6. thekingsphance

thekingsphance Rockstar

I'm looking at getting the torsion keys, I think I'm gonna just bring it to the shop to get it done right. Thanks for the inputs.
  7. sweetdawg99

sweetdawg99 Rockstar

just out of curiosity how much will the shop cost ya?
  8. Heineken

Heineken Rockstar

If yu do it yourself, make sure to raise the front end up off the ground. Makes it easier to level out
  9. jmonte3

jmonte3 Rockstar 100 Posts

i recently got a leveling kit installed on my truck, a local custom automotive shop charged me 300 for everything
    the shop ordered the kit and installed it all i did was drop my truck off
  10. thekingsphance

thekingsphance Rockstar

Yeah, I'm not sure how much my local shop will charge me for the job. 300 sounds like a damn good deal though. The Readylift kit costs about 2 something alone! I think you just pay for the name though I don't know.