1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Leveling kit questions

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by chevy skyhawk, Jun 23, 2011.

1. chevy skyhawk

chevy skyhawk New Member

Hi everybody, I'm kinda new to th forum so bear with me on any mistakes, but I have a 2004 chevy 1500 ext. Cab short bed LS 4x4, truck is white in color and has the z71 fender flares. The torsion bars are cranked all the way out now but I dont like how it sits or rides as is, so I'm thinking about a 2.5 leveling kit and new shocks, what's the best one to go with? Also I'm wanting to invest in some new wheels and tires, I'm wanting a good enough off set to get the wheels about even with the fender flares or maybe even a half inch past, I saw a 2500 hd the other day that had some 325/60r18 nitro terra grapplers on it and I liked the offset but dont no wat it was or the type of wheel. Sorry for the long post but if u have a truck like mine leveled out with aftermarket wheels and tires I would love to have some great pics and advice, thanks, spencer
  2. McMahan

McMahan Rockstar 100 Posts

I am not to much on lifting but I know skyjacker, rough country make good ones, at least that's what my friends have told me who have lifted trucks
  3. jdennis44

jdennis44 Rockstar 100 Posts

welcome to the club! and in my opinion for your truck rough country makes a great leveling kit and you can get it with their shocks if you want. i had the rough country on my old truck which was an 03! good luck. let us know what you decide.
  4. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Torsion key leveling kits are pretty much the same no matter the brand. The important thing is to make sure that the keys are forged and not cast, cast keys are weaker and have been known to break. Ready Lift and Pro Comp offer forged keys. When I had my '05 lifted I used Pro Comp keys and also added a 3" lift block in the rear to replace the factory 2" block which leveled the truck out nicely. To get your wheels to sit even with the fenders you need around a between a 12mm to 25mm offset, depending on the width of the rim you choose. I removed the flares from my truck and I'm running factory 20's which are 8.5" wide with 31mm offset, with the 305 tires they sit pretty close to even with the fenders.
    Here's some pics with it lifted:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's a couple that show how the rims and tires fit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  5. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Adam, you are such a pic whore!!

OP, just watch out for the cast keys like Adam said. I had a '07 Classic with stock 17's with ReadyLift keys and 3" rear block and really liked how it sat.
  6. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club. As you can see everybody has there favorite leveling kit. I like the ReadyLift leveling kit. Also you may want to look at Skyjackers 3" suspension lift kit. Ofcourse its more money than a leveling kit , but it rides good, works great off-road,you don't loose any suspension travel (one of the down sides of a leveling kit) and its easy to install. You DON'T have to drop the front diff., its all bolt-on. Or you could break the bank and get a BDS, CST, Rancho or Skyjacker 6" suspension kit.:great:
  7. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Ha Ha! You know it! Just trying to help out a new member, if it gives me the chance to whore out the truck so be it, LOL. Besides I see on the the other truck sites when a noob asks a question on an old subject the older members get pissy and sarcastic about doing a search and are really no help and don't do anything to make them feel welcome, just trying to do my part. He came here looking for an answer and visual aids are usually the best!
  8. ajarman

It really does help when you can supply pics!! Just giving you a hard time...I am just as guilty :glasses:
  9. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I like looking at pictures of everyones truck. (kissing up, vote for me!).:lol:
  10. ajarman

Thanks for making me laugh out loud STB at work...now everyone is looking at me.