Leveling kit?

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by Sierraowner5.3, Apr 23, 2011.

1. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

did some looking at leveling kits for my sierra, local off road shop quoted me 480 installed, but i neglected to ask what brand, my question is, how hard would it be to do myself or with some help?

Alex

2. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

Depends, how mechanically inclined are you and do you own/ have access to the tools necessary to the job?

3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

As TELORVEHC said, depends on your skill. If you have the tools, mainly a torson key compresser tool you can do it. Need a jack, jacks stands and a 18mm socket. Takes about an hour from start to finish. Takes more time getting the tools out and jacking up the truck.

---------- Post added at 07:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:44 PM ----------

One last thing. Make sure you measure the truck BEFORE you start so you have a referrance point. I like to measure from the wheel center hub to the fender lip. this way if the grounds not level it doesn't affect the measurement.

4. Sierraowner5.3

i have some tools, and i can go buy a 18 mm socket easy enough, and a bud has a jack and stands, the torsion key compressor i dotn have, would an auto parts shop have such a thing so i could borrow it? just as soon not pay for the install.

Alex

5. silveradotrailblazer

Some parts stores will loan or rent the tool. Even if you buy a tool and the keys its still cheaper than $480.00. Did the $480.00 include a realignment??

---------- Post added at 07:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 PM ----------

ReadyLift sells a torson bar tool for $100.00.

6. Sierraowner5.3

not sure, im gonna call on monday and find out some more.

thanks all.

Alex

7. silveradotrailblazer

Lets say a leveling kit is around $100.00, tool $100.00, average cost for alignment $65.00. Do it yourself $0.00. You saved over $200.00

8. Blackout07

Blackout07 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

It's quite simple to do. I did mine on my 03 by myself in the driveway. Having never done it before, it took me a couple of hours. I also borrowed the torsion bar tool from Auto Zone. Let me ask you though, are you already cranked? If not, crank your tbars and see if you can get a couple of inches out them. If you can, don't waste your money or your time on leveling keys.

9. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Don't you still need a tbar tool to take the stress off of the bolt in order to turn it up?

10. Blackout07

Blackout07 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

No. You don't need a torsion bar unloader to simply crank your existing tbars. I put Ford keys on my 03 before I knew better, and the truck rode like a tank. I pulled those keys out, went back to the stockers and cranked. In most cases, leveling keys are a waste of time and money.