Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Levelled Suspension over travel bump stop question.

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by Outrider, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Outrider

Outrider Member

Hi, I've searched for this but haven't found much out there.
    I have a 2013 Sierra 4x4 that I added a 2" spacer above the front strut and a 1.25 block in the rear.
    My issue is when I go over a speed bump I get a knock in the front and rear. The front suspension extends until it hits a stop and I think the rear shocks fully extend.
    I'm not sure what to do. If I cut out the front bump stops and get rear shock extensions, will that solve my issue? Should I have any concerns about cutting out the front bump stops?
    Thanks.

2. 1971chevelle

1971chevelle New Member

do not cut out the bump stops. of it is like my 99 gmc when i got it the cv shafts where binding and pulled the passenger side shaft out enough to drop the thrust washer and kept it from being able to go into 4wd. fixed the axle and replaced the bumpstops and havent had any more problems. angles like that are also hard on ball joints. my also check the bolts for the shocks in rear and make sure they are tight.

3. Outrider

Outrider Member

Anyone here at all cut the front upper control bump stops? Some kits require them to be removed. Anyone here have negative effects from removing them?

4. Camaro69car

Camaro69car Member 1 Year 100 Posts

i'm assuming you did not replace the rear shocks to accommodate the lift. as far as the front goes, dont cut the bump stops, they are there for a reason.

5. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I agree! Don't cut them off. Are you sure that you just don't have bad lower bushings on the shocks? They make the same noise that you are describing. Did you retorque all the bolts 100 miles, then 500 miles after you installed your kit? Did you install new shocks when you added the block in the rear? I would not buy an extender. I would buy the proper length shocks! Bilstein sells them for a .5" -2" kit. What kit did you use?

6. zuki82

zuki82 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

DO NOT CUT OFF BUMP STOPS!!! Your noise is coming from your shocks! It would be best to get longer shocks, but you could do the work and rebuild the shock mounts! 2" isn't gonna pull out the axle, at least it hasn't on my tracker! :)

7. ajarman

ajarman Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Like already stated...dont cut them. Also, did you stack a 1.25" block on top of the factory block?