Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Life time oil filter

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by wes-can, May 11, 2014.

1. squatchy

squatchy Active Member 100 Posts

[MENTION=51590]Pikey[/MENTION] the new stuff is fully synthetic and has to use synthetic oil filters. cheapest I've seen is around $12. But the sentiment remains the same, we can still buy 12-14 filters for the price of one, and save the mess of cleaning a filter.

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

new stuff? as in oil? I have been using Mobile 1 with AC delco filters since 2002 with no issues. Many guys do the same. The corvette came from the factory with mobile 1 and AC delco filters.

This is from mobile's site:

MYTH: Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 Extended Performance oils require use of a special oil filter.

REALITY: While ExxonMobil recommends that you use a high-quality filter, you can use the same type of oil filter that you would normally use with conventional oil. ExxonMobil does offer a very high-quality oil filter that is a perfect companion to Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil. The Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filter contains synthetic blend filter media instead of the typical cellulose filter media. With a 99.2 percent efficiency rating (under SAE J1858 Multi-Pass Efficiency Test), the Mobil 1 filter is much more efficient than a typical oil filter. Its new high-capacity design stores more contaminants (two times the capacity of the leading brand).

From Valvoline's site:

1. Do I need to use a different type of oil filter with synthetic oil?
      No. You can use any type of oil filter with a synthetic engine oil.

3. ArtO

ArtO New Member

I had a 2008 HHR a few years ago. The oil filter was a canister type that you unscrewed the top pulled the filter element out of the canister and popped a new one in. Done from the top of the engine. No muss , no fuss. Why cant they put this type of filter on ALL of the vehicles they make ?? It sure would be a lot easier.