Life time oil filter

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by wes-can, May 11, 2014.

1. squatchy

squatchy Active Member 100 Posts

[MENTION=51590]Pikey[/MENTION] the new stuff is fully synthetic and has to use synthetic oil filters. cheapest I've seen is around $12. But the sentiment remains the same, we can still buy 12-14 filters for the price of one, and save the mess of cleaning a filter.

2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

new stuff? as in oil? I have been using Mobile 1 with AC delco filters since 2002 with no issues. Many guys do the same. The corvette came from the factory with mobile 1 and AC delco filters.

This is from mobile's site:

MYTH: Mobil 1 and Mobil 1 Extended Performance oils require use of a special oil filter.

REALITY: While ExxonMobil recommends that you use a high-quality filter, you can use the same type of oil filter that you would normally use with conventional oil. ExxonMobil does offer a very high-quality oil filter that is a perfect companion to Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil. The Mobil 1 Extended Performance Oil Filter contains synthetic blend filter media instead of the typical cellulose filter media. With a 99.2 percent efficiency rating (under SAE J1858 Multi-Pass Efficiency Test), the Mobil 1 filter is much more efficient than a typical oil filter. Its new high-capacity design stores more contaminants (two times the capacity of the leading brand).

From Valvoline's site:

1. Do I need to use a different type of oil filter with synthetic oil?
      No. You can use any type of oil filter with a synthetic engine oil.

3. ArtO

ArtO New Member

I had a 2008 HHR a few years ago. The oil filter was a canister type that you unscrewed the top pulled the filter element out of the canister and popped a new one in. Done from the top of the engine. No muss , no fuss. Why cant they put this type of filter on ALL of the vehicles they make ?? It sure would be a lot easier.