1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Lift Advice for a newcomer

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by EvanStanley, Apr 10, 2012.

1. EvanStanley

EvanStanley New Member

I'm new to the club and I'm looking for some advice. I drive a 2007 New Body Style Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab 4x4 and I'm looking to install a lift kit. I'm struggling to decide between a 4" or a 6" lift. Here are the questions I'm looking to have answered:

1. What size suspension lift would be ideal, 4" or 6"?
    2. What brand/ maker of suspension lift kits is the best or ideal?
    3. What Mud terrain tires are the best? (Brand and Size)
    4. Other advise an experienced owner can give me?

Budget $2,500 to $3,000

Thanks everyone!
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  2. 07XCSB

07XCSB New Member 1000 Posts

First, is your truck a 07 Classic or New Body Style? Second, What is the intended use of the truck?

Btw, Welcome to the club.
  3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

We are the Borg. Lower your truck and surrender your keys. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile. Erm, I mean ... welcome to GM Truck Club! :great:

To answer your questions:
    1. There's no ideal; it's a matter of taste. If you're thinking about going more than 4" then you should probably bite the bullet and go for 6". There is such a thing as too much lift (i.e. extreme angles causing rapid wear), but neither 4" nor 6" fall into this category.
    2. There is no best or ideal. This is, again, a matter of taste (and often, budget). BDS, Fabtech, Skyjacker, Rancho, and Rough Country are all pretty common. Buy the best lift you can afford ... but also do your homework so that you're prepared to shore up or avoid any weaknesses ... as each manufacturer has strengths and weaknesses. BDS is often regarded very highly but people don't tend to like the ride of their leaf spring option, for example. The shocks that come with Fabtech lifts are junk, wear out quickly, and ride poorly, for example. There's a lot of lift information on these forums and you'll be rewarded with good information if you'll take the time to search and read, here.
    3. Again, there is no best MT brand/size. This is purely a matter of taste (and often, budget).
    4. See my last sentence in the #3 response, above.
  4. donyms

donyms Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the GMTC, hope you enjoy it here as I do. I see you got your answer already so welcome aboard. :glasses:
  5. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 New Member 1000 Posts

welcome to the club!
    In order to answer your questions a bit better the intended use is needed. if you just want a mall cruiser than any lift would be ok. If you intend to use your truck off road than something like a Rancho, Fabtech, or BDS kit will do fine. There are ways to upgrade some of the kits,also depending on intended use.
    Some of the same goes toward your tire selection. A popular tire on this forum is the Nitto brand in various styles. If the road noise doesn't bother you than one of the Super Swamper brands are good off road tires.
    As far as lift heights go some like 4" kits. Some like the 6" ones. With a bit more info from you we can give a more detailed answer.
  6. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog New Member ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor

:sign0016: WELCOME to the club and enjoy the site.....
  7. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew New Member 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site. I won't repeat what everyone else already said, but it is true. There is no easy answer. It depends on so many factors. You have to be realistic about what your plans are, your budget, etc.. There are a couple of good posts in the Lifted and Offroad Suspension sub-forum. Read through there as I'm currently doing a lot of research on options from simple, to extreme overkill.
  8. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Most lifts for our trucks reguire the use of aftermarket rims. With your budget I think you might wanna start with a level and some nice rims and 33s. Then starting saving up more money and you'll have until those tires wear out to decide what lift you wanna do
  9. AutoAnything

AutoAnything New Member

Hello and welcome from San Diego! Agreed with above, but excited to see what you go choose and make sure to keep us updated with pics!
  10. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts

Welcome to the G M T C !