1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Lift and Tires for 2010 Z71 Crew cab........... please straighten me out !

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by cain73, Sep 2, 2011.

1. cain73

cain73 New Member

I've looked and read. I've done research. But I've heard so much conflicting stuff it isn't funny. First my truck. It's 4x4 crew cab with 5.3 and stock 3:42 gears. I'm getting ready to start the mods and need to make sure I do it right.
    I would love 35" tires, but I also like my stock rims, and I'd hate to have to come up with the extra money for re-gearing. I've been told some dealers sell my exact truck set up by aftermarket companies with 6" lift and 35" tires...... but I don't want to void my warranty, and I bet it would be a total dog with the stock gears.
    I like the 4" lift, but would I really be limited to 33" tires ? I've been told with a little trimming I could do 35" tires with a 4" lift.
    Straighten me out ! what's my best course ? yes I want 35's, but don't want to regear. so can I do 35's with a 4" lift or am I stuck with 33's ?
    And can I use 35's with my 3:42 gears without putting too much strain on the trans or hating my truck because it won't get out of its own way ?
    let me hear what you know and what I can do. I appreciate it.
  2. Burden33

Burden33 New Member 100 Posts

Ur best bet is to run 6" lift since u already have ur mind made up on what size tires u want. Yes ur tranny will hate u if u did go with 35. Like i said ur tranmission will hate u but if ur just street driving and taking your time until u get ur gears u should be fine. But u will hate how the truck feels of the line i would recommend 33 but i like the loom of 33 on a 6" lift imo
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  3. Blackout07

Blackout07 New Member 100 Posts

It sounds like you have your mind made up on 35's so run them. But understand that the amount of lift has little to do with the need to regear. Thats all about the tires/wheels right there. So if 35's are what you want then get a 6" lift and get ready to trim. A 4" lift isn't going to cut it. As far as gears go you don't have to regear at all. I'm assuming you have the 6 spd tranny, so it really won't be that bad with the 3.42's for a while.
  4. Burden33

I never took notice too what year his truck was well if he is running a six dpeed he wobt find it half as bad as the guys with 4 speeds will
  5. cain73

cain73 New Member

Sorry forgot to mention that I do have the 6 speed trans. I like the 35's but don't really want a 6" - just my prefference. And the 35's were my concern about the regearing, not the lift. So it looks like I'll definitely be doing the 33" tires and 4 inch lift. I don't want the extra expense, or to void my warranty 80k miles early.
    I see that you guys said the 6 speed with 35's would be ok for a while, but what about permenantly ? could the 3:42 with 6 speed do ok with the 35's if I never regeared?
  6. BALTHIS

BALTHIS New Member

ive got a 2011 crew cab with just a 4 inch ready lift sst and run 35s everyday no prob yeah u gotta trim a lil and do a lil hammerin but u cant beat how 35s fill in the fendrs. i had a set of 33 12.50s and hated em from the time i got em on there so i say 35s and yes ur trans wil hold fine mine does and i give mine down the road. and i run a diablo trinty turned up.
  7. Blackout07

Blackout07 New Member 100 Posts

Your warranty will be "voided" so to speak with a 4" lift as much as any other amount, but I understand your preference. As far as gears go, do you have to? No. But in the long run, it will take a lot of strain off of the trans. If you do go with 35's and aftermarket wheels, gears should be a consideration at some point.
  8. cain73

cain73 New Member

From what I was told a lift will void the suspension portion of the warranty, which I'm not worried about. I was told that if I made changes to the drive line that my 100k warranty would be voided. I don't know about tires, but was told specifically changing gears would void it.

Balthis - which brand of 4 inch lift do you have ? how extensive is the trimming and hammering ?

Also I do have a Superchips programmer to compensate for change in tire size, but wasn't sure if it was enough to compensate for the change to 35's from the stock 32" tires.

---------- Post added at 10:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 AM ----------

Not sure if it's due to a difference in year model but my friend has a Silverado Z71 extended cab with a 3" body lift and he runs 35's and they fit no problem. Although he did regear to compensate.

---------- Post added at 10:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 AM ----------

And what about rims ? Do I have to go aftermarket or can I use my stock ones ? I actually like the look of the stock rims.
  9. Burden33

Thats a first i heard about that for the warranty. My dealer cover everything the onlything i pay is when they need to do actually work that requiers the removal of my lift. Hey is running the ready lift sst 4" lift u can run your stock rims but you might need a wheel spacer for the tires wont rub against anything
  10. BALTHIS

BALTHIS New Member

im runnin the ready lift sst. i love it it changes uper a arms, skid plate, diff drop and re[places the factor rear blocks. ive had a set of 20x9s and 17x9s both with 4.75 back spacin and they dont rub the frame. and u gotta role the bottom of ur fender and take a couple of self tappin sheat metal screws and screw ur inner fender to it or cut it i screwed mine> din take a zip tie the the ft of ur inner fender and it does good. look at ur rocky ridge trucks and there done the same to the ft inner fenders cause i about got one.