Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

lift help needed. rear blocks with add a leafs?? 89 Blazer 4"

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by carmantx, Feb 11, 2012.

1. carmantx

carmantx Member

Going to lift the 89 Blazer 4". I am getting components, and not a lift "kit" possibly, so I had a question. I was wanting to replace the rear springs since they are original, and have some sag. But those are pricey, so I was thinking of blocks and add a leaf for a little help. Has anybody done that? Any advice on add a leaf type that I should use?

Thanks

2. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

An add a leaf can be done. Doing so will stiffen up the ride a bit. A block could be used. The best way to get the desired lift is to add a new spring pack, but as you said it is a bit pricey. I haven't looked in a while but a full kit for that era truck isn't really all that much compared to the price of modern kits. If you want the lift with the best ride quality I would say get new springs.

3. carmantx

carmantx Member

Thanks for the post.
    I know rear springs would be best, but may go with blocks for now. Add a leaf would be used to get an extra inch from the old springs to keep it level. New rear springs are $350 to $500 for a pair.

4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Have you priced having the factory springs rearched?
    This isnt a popular method now but in the days before we had so many aftermarket shops and manufacturers it was popular.
    AAL's will give you the lift your looking for but wiith the weight of your truck theres a few problems that you should be aware of:
    1-with an AAL and a block you'll get increased wheel hop and traction will suffer
    2-AAL's stress out the leaf springs and tend to crack them just past the end of the AAL on the forward edge, requiring you to buy new leafs anyways.
    3-Blocks are rough on the shackle bushings and wear them out fast.

I'm not a fan of blocks, I've seen to many failures on the trails that were caused by them, or by not maintaning them properly, i.e. checking the torque religiously every couple thousand miles. If you do use blocks make sure their solid blocks and make sure you complete maintenance on the bolts regularly. I know blocks are a cheap and easy method to get lift but they come with some pitfalls too.
    In a perfect world you could afford to buy replacement lift springs and pitch out the idea of using blocks.
    Have you tried searching craigslist in your area for somebody selling truck parts or parting out a lifted truck? I know around here theres always someone parting out their mosnster truck project you cen get the parts off of cheap.

5. carmantx

carmantx Member

Thanks Tim. I have searched Craigslist, but I live in the middle of nowhere, so there has not been anything.

I will be going to rear springs on the lift. No blocks. I found a deal I think I can swing.

6. Dana W

Dana W Member 2 Years 100 Posts

Good idea for the new springs. Add-a-leafs on saggy springs will leave you with the same uneven spring tension, only up higher.

7. carmantx

carmantx Member

We finished it Sunday, and mounted the tires yesterday. Rolling good now.

[​IMG]