Lift questions

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by IAsilverado, Oct 11, 2010.

1. IAsilverado

IAsilverado Rockstar

Right now i have a 4" rancho suspension lift and the front tires rub when turned on both the front and back of the fender. The back of the tire is rubbing on metal and the front is just rubbing on the plastic. I was wondering what type of lift could i put on top of the current suspension lift to give it 2" more of a lift? Would a front coil spring spacer work with a rear add-a-leaf? or would i have to go a different route such as a body lift or something like that? It is already leveled so i would need 2" or more for both the front and rear of the truck.... I am thinking that any more than 2 or 3 inches would make it look too tall and the tires would end up looking too small.....

Any feedback, opinions, or ideas would be great!
    Thanks in advance,
    -Nick

2. KWG08VMI

KWG08VMI Rockstar 100 Posts

I don't see why a spacer and an extra leaf in the rear wouldn't work. Or you can get a set of torsion bar keys and turn them just enough to avoid the rubbing and then add a leaf to the rear. Am sure someone has a better idea, but that's all I've got for you.

3. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I'm not that much of an expert to give you any really sound advice about what components could be added to a kit, especially because these kits are pretty much engineered to work within their own specs. But for my own curiosity, what diameter tires do you have? The info may be helpful to others who are looking at lift heights and tire sizes.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  4. IAsilverado

IAsilverado Rockstar

I have 305/55/R20 toyo open country a/t tires on right now and i think what i will end up doing is just getting skinnier tires so they wont rub and selling the ones i have now. But if anyone has any other ideas keep posting and let me know what you all think.

I looked underneath and i didnt see any torsion bars...

I have a 2007 Silverado 1500 LT 4x4 if that helps anyone

5. mfleetwood

If you do end up changing out the tires, check out the link below, as it may help you in figuring out what size to get as well as allows you to do some nice side by side comparisions. I'm running 315s with your same lift (NBS) and they do not rub, so I agree with you that narrowing the tire is one of several possible solutions. Another good (good, meaning if you want some more height) reason to change to a skinner tire is that you can also get a taller tire, which will also give you a little bit more lift. Your 305s are about the same as 33s and 315s are about 34 1/2".

http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp?action=submit

6. IAsilverado

IAsilverado Rockstar

but i also have 20" rims... so wouldnt that make the tire bigger too? i am looking for a tire that is smaller than 12" wide. and then would i be able to fit taller ones also? can someone help me search for a tire that would fit with no rubbing issues?.... and i am looking for an aggressive all terrain tire or a nice mud terrain....

7. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Wheel spacers

8. mfleetwood

Sorry, I should have been more clear and given you the full specs on the tires. I compared 305/50/20 (33") to 315/70/17 (34 1/2"). Check out that tire link real quick, as I mentioned before. I just entered 295/60/20 (and yes, that tire is less than 12" wide) and the diameter is about 34". I believe, the 10mm will be enough reduction in width based on being less than 12" wide but you can play with the calculator to see what numbers will work. Also, it compares back and forth from tires that go by the 3 digit (285, 305, etc.) to tires that are us the " specifically like 32", 33" etc. In this manner, if some numbers do not work with one version, you may be able to find using the other.

Regarding tires, I am pretty happy with my BFGs (but they are the only tires I have ever had) but there are some great tire threads here, so check them out as well.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  9. IAsilverado

IAsilverado Rockstar

then if i put wheel spacers on, it would just move the rubbing spot to a different area depending on what width of a spacer i get.... or would it work?

10. ntbush83

ntbush83 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I wouldn't go with wheel spacers. Do a little research and you'll find out why they are not good for your vehicle. Your rubbing may be due to the offset of your wheel. The offset determines where the wheel sits on the hub and some offsets bring the wheel closer to your truck causing rubbing and others move it away from your truck to prevent rubbing because your wheel is probably wider than your stock wheel. This could be why mfleetwood doesn't have the problem you have.