Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Lift + Shocks + Tires + Gas millage +.......... is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by K15 Blazer Guy, Jun 28, 2012.

1. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I was thinking about a mild 2" lift for the chevy,but im wondering if its worth it.

2" will require bigger shocks to compensate for a high axis of body roll,body squat/dive
    larger tires, means more weight, you need to upgrade the brakes.
    More weight also directly effects gas millage

As badass as lifted trucks look, who out there lifted their rig because itNEEDED it to prevent under carriage scrapes?

How much of a lift, and how comprehensive was it?
    was it worth it? or is it now a gas sponge?
    lol

i think this stock truck has the same height as my lifted jeep, but the wheelbase is longer, so thats why im comprehending a lift.

2. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Well back in high school is when I got my Bronco lifted 4", I didnt even think about how it would effect driving and gas mileage. But I want the looks and better 4wheelin capability. I put 33's, no new gears, no upgraded brakes, but I didnt need to do the upgrades because the OEM parts still could/has handled it.Now gas was cheaper but I didnt have far to drive so it has never bothered me that it gets worst gas mileage. Now a days it sits until the weekend and so does my Chevy and I bought a Civic so I do not have to worry about gas mileage and the wear and tear.

3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Is it worth it? Truthfully only you can answer that question, I have a lifted truck and and I have my factory height truck, thats the one that gets me to work everyday and most of my running around, my lifted truck barely gets driven now unless I'm going off-road.
    Just my .02 but you did say you already have a Jeep to do that in.

4. K15 Blazer Guy

OMG a civic? god help us all
    lol

i cant believe you adverage 18.5 in that pick up though...... thats amazing, i adverage 15MPG... and this is my daily driver

but i figure a simple 2" block and tortion key set would be fine... even with the shocks i have on it. (theyre yellow billstines) stock equiptment should be fine for that...
    right now the truck has brand new tires on it... so it wont get a lift untill those go bald.

HOWEVER, tough the bronco always got worse millage than the chevy blazer, if your pick up is getting that good of millage, i may be inclined to not lift my truck... seeing as how its almost certain to hurt my wallet, cause that truck is clearly NOT lifted.

5. K15 Blazer Guy

actually i DID have a jeep, but i sold it to get this baby.
    so yeah.... happy with the upgrade
    ct.jpg

6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I bought my truck with its lift, as I got it used. That said, I bought a lifted truck because I needed it. I do some light off-road driving; not for fun but because I've been in the market for undeveloped land and needed a way to get around on property I was looking at. I've had my truck up to the frame in mud/puddles in washouts that spanned unrocked logging roads; in fields with grass that was as high as the hood of the truck (where I could not see the land I was about to drive over); on the lower side of a leaky pond dam up to the hubs in mud; and on hunting paths barely wider than the truck, itself, with ruts that were easily 6-7" deep.

I'm happy with the 6" Fabtech lift that I have. The 315/70R17's I'm running give me a little more height, too. I've yet to scrape anything other than mud underneath ... but I'm also relatively cautious about where I go.

How comprehensive was my lift? Lifts never are comprehensive; when you lift a truck you change many things about a system and lift kits don't compensate in other areas for those changes. Thus, I went to stainless steel brake lines to restore pedal feel after longer brake lines were put in. I improved my rotors and brake pads to restore braking to near-factory, since on bigger tires my brakes have less opportunity to do their jobs in a given distance (due to fewer revolutions as compared with smaller tires). I regeared from 3.73's to 4.56's to restore power to near factory levels (with more of a bent for power than I had out of the factory)... to get my big tires rolling without straining the transmission. I have a handheld tuner and a custom tune to improve shift points, to compensate for speedo error, to set the computer to 4.56 gear ratios, and to tune based on logged data for 87 octane fuel.

I get 14-16 combined MPG (and average close to 15.1-15.3 most of the time, with 1/3 of my driving being highway). Factory MPG for my extended cab with long bed and 4spd transmission was 15 city, 17 highway. I could probably get 0.5mph back if I'd put the front valance back on but it looks like crud so I don't. (Before use of my tuner and custom tune I was getting 11.5ish MPG...)

Done right, a lifted truck doesn't have to be a gas sponge... or much of one compared to factory specs. After all, trucks are ALWAYS gas sponges compared to motorcycles or hybrids. :)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  7. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Believe me, I did not want to buy a car. It just happens when driving so far for work and gas prices it was the smart thing to do in my situation.

And about my truck getting over 18 mpg, I am just very aware that bad driving habits is the death of fuel efficiency so I am easy on her.

The Bronco gets 13-14 mpg (at best) with the lift and tires but that is with open country roads and no highways and no city. But since you bought new tires, I dont blame for waiting but it is just something for you to think about on down the road. Not to make ya jealous but you cant beat a lifted truck :lol:

8. K15 Blazer Guy

oh yeah, i am well aware of that fact lol

nothing says safety for you, and serious injury for anything else, like a nice lifted truck with a hefty ranch bumper X)
    lol