1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

lifter noise

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by wilsojon, Jan 21, 2009.

1. wilsojon

wilsojon New Member

I have a 2000 silverado with 5.3 it seams when cold lifters are drained making noise of course till they get pumped up any one else have same trouble? it has 106k miles
  2. ibmoses

ibmoses Rockstar 100 Posts

It may be the pistons slapping the cylinder walls. Pretty common for these motors.

Bert
  3. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

You might be floating a valve.
  4. bzboardco

bzboardco Rockstar 100 Posts

I have a 2002 silverado with the 5.3l. I bought my truck back in 2003, a couple of days later the lifters were tappin pretty bad. I took back and the mechanic came out to my truck, one of the plug wires was loose he pushed it back on and they still haven't tapped since. :neutral:
  5. iceman68

iceman68 New Member

I have the same truck - with the same issue. 2000 Silverado, 5.3 litre.... in the morning I have a lifter noise till the engine warms up and the lifters are pumped up.. it goes away then.
  6. Rich Sr

Rich Sr New Member

Reserching the same problem, many "blogs" suggest slaping pistons, I have change the oil, plugs, serpitine belt and noise still persists pretty bad. About 10 minutes of it in the morning till it warms up. I am now looking at a possible weak valve spring, catalytic converter or ear plugs for the first start of the day.