Lifter replace

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by TJ smith, May 19, 2009.

1. TJ smith

TJ smith New Member

Can the lifters in a 04 5.3 liter eng be replaced without replacing the cam.
    Which lifters would be the best.
    I have lifter noise and don't want to replace just 1 .
    Thank you TJ

2. ukrkoz

ukrkoz Rockstar 100 Posts

1. for starters, before planned oil change, pour in can of seafoam, yes, into crankcase, and drive on it for about 500 miles. should loosen lifters just fine. next, if truck is not taking oil in any manner, switch to synth. much thinner, will lift lifters better.

2. says to remove: intake manifold, valve covers, rocker arms, pushrods, timing chain(??) and the cylinder heads. Haynes.

3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

To change the lifters on the new Generation motors you have to remove the heads to get to the lifters. They are roller lifters so the camshaft should be fine. Its rare for these roller lifters to go bad. I would make sure before doing all that work.

4. TJ smith

TJ smith New Member

Thanks for the replys.
    We went to a flush with seafoam.The lifters loosened right up.Going to run 3 4 hundred miles and change oil to a synthetic.
    Thinking of mobil 1 or the high miliage 1
    Should I add a supplement ?/
    I have 95000 on a 2004 5.3L Northwest Edition Silverado
    Take care
    TJ

5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Lifer replace

I use Mobil 1 extended 5/30. I wont add any additives after you seafoam it and change oil.

6. TJ smith

TJ smith New Member

I'm a little leary of the 5-30 oil. We get summer temps around here of 105 degrees with a lot of days over 90. Winter it does hit -20 but mostly around teens to mid 20s.
    I'm thinking a 10 40 maybe.
    Your thoughts please
    Take Care
    TJ

7. ukrkoz

ukrkoz Rockstar 100 Posts

you welcome.

no, do not go for M1 oil. use M1 oil filter.
    Amsoil it. it sounds very expensive, but i easily do 15 000 miles before oil change. it is warranted for 25 000. so, if you think about how seldom you do changes it is, actually, more cost efficient than even 5000 oil changes with inferior quality oils.

also, buy inexpensive oil at wallmart, pennzoil is about $12 5 qrts now. drain used oil, pour that oil in, and run engine for about 15 minutes, then drain and replace oil filter/refill with good oil. you'll be surprised - comes out tar black. rev it to maybe 2500 once or twice, holding for around 10 seconds, to get stuff out of tight spots.

no, you use 5W30, not 10W40. firstly, this is what is recommended. 2ndly, why would you go for a heavier weight? you want your lifters sticky again? 3rdly, you always want to use oil with the least numeric difference between the 2 numbers, so 10/30 is always better than 10/40.