Lifter tick after oil change 04 Suburban 5.3

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by ministock8, Apr 16, 2017.

1. ministock8

ministock8 Member

I changed the oil with Castrol high milage 5w30 drove about 100 miles today and when I got home there's a ticking sound coming from the top of the engine. Has anyone had this happen and could the ticking be a fuel injector?
    Thanks
    Pat

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

It's probably a lifter, lifters tick, injectors click.

Is that the oil you usually use?

3. squatchy

squatchy Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

You find me a 99-06 5.3 that doesn't tick and I'll pay for your next hearing test. They all do it. I can tell you how to destroy the engine if you'd like! Not that I jokingly told a coworker how to fix it and he went and did what I said...

xPosTech and RayVoy like this.
  4. RayVoy

I'd like to hear that story.

5. squatchy

squatchy Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I may have told him if he changed the oil, but only put 5qts back in and a full bottle of sea foam, run it for 10 mins and change it again it'll clean everything up real good and get rid of all the ticks. He always claimed to be a mechanic. Apparently he didn't think I was being sarcastic and he went and did it. And that's all it takes to kill a motor

6. Zak99b5

Zak99b5 Member

I had an EJ22 out of a Subaru Legacy in my VW Vanagon.

EJs like to tick.

A bit of MMO added to the oil would clear it up.

I have used SeaFoam in motors before, but never more than about 1/3 a can. I can't claim it ever did any good for certain, but it never caused any damage, and the SeaFoam/oil mix drained out very black and gross. It made me feel better.

7. ministock8

ministock8 Member

No, I had it changed at valvoline quick lube. When I found out there was an extra charge to top off certain fluids i said screw that I'll do it myself which I usually do but just was lazy that time. the Castrol was what was on sale at NAPA. As far as Seafoam, I don't believe in the fix it in a bottle things.

8. RayVoy

Run synthetic, the tick will be quieter.

9. bazar01

bazar01 Rockstar 100 Posts

Been using mobil 1 synthetic on my 2001. No ticking. 223k miles

10. ministock8

ministock8 Member

Now it's gone. Very quiet this morning. I'll try full synthetic next time.