1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Lifter tick under warranty?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by UpsetProps, Apr 7, 2014.

1. UpsetProps

UpsetProps New Member

My 2012 4.8L Silverado has developed a bad lifter tick @ 26,000 miles. I bought the truck brand new. I have always done oil changes at the dealership at regular intervals. I have used a Diablosport tuner on my truck.

Would the fix for lifters generally be be under warranty?

My tuner is broken, so I can't take the tune off. Will this void warranty?
  2. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 Member

There are many opinions around dealerships and tuner effects on warranties, I have found it best if you do some recon with your service guy prior to needing work if you have a tuner installed, just ask him straight up, they will tell you the boundaries and limitations, once you install it, the foot print is there, how ever, not being able to reset factory settings is going to be a handicap if your service guy says it could/or will effect your factory warranty. ( at 26k and a 2012 model that would be a warranty item).
  3. Chesters

Chesters Member

Just had a friend with lifter tick costume 2000 to put in new lifters and pushrods on one side out of warranty. If it comes down to that I buy a new programmer. Take it back to stock and take it to the dealership
  4. UpsetProps

UpsetProps New Member

Turns out I had 3 pushrods with excessive wear. Being replaced under warranty.
  5. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

How can that happen in a new engine????? Years ago, the push rods would outlast the pistons.
  6. Chesters

Chesters Member

Glad warranty was good, hopefully they check the cam for you. Sometimes people don't look farther than what they originallyfind.
  7. JimmyA

JimmyA Member

I had mine replaced under warranty for my 5.3! The tuner doesn't have anything to do with mechanical issues! You are whoever should have no problems.
  8. UpsetProps

UpsetProps New Member

When I spoke to them last night they said they would also be checking the camshaft.
  9. UpsetProps

UpsetProps New Member

After further inspection they say the flywheel was making a squeaking noise and also needs to be replaced. Should have it back in a couple more days.
  10. UpsetProps

UpsetProps New Member

Finally got it back. 3 pushrods, rocker arms and roller lifters with excessive wear replaced, and a cracked flywheel replaced under warranty :)

She runs quiet now!