1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Lifting a 2WD drive. Bad idea?

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by j_hop14, Oct 1, 2013.

1. j_hop14

j_hop14 New Member

The title explains itself. I was thinking about doing a 3 or 4 inch suspension lift on my 97 C1500. Already knowing its a rear wheel drive, is it a bad idea to lift it. I was talking to my buddies and they said it would be pointless because it is not 4WD. Any input would be appreciated.
  2. mfleetwood

mfleetwood Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

****Thread Moved Here****
  3. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

2wd trucks are lifted all over down here. Since there is a lot of desert here 4wd is not as important. Not sure about where you live. Skill and tires can overcome some situations but even if you just want looks go for it.
  4. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker Member 2 Years 500 Posts

Nothing wrong with a little extra clearance!! ... i say you should lower it... but I'm kinda biased haha!
  5. j_hop14

j_hop14 New Member

Yeah they're telling me its bad for it but Im just doing it just for looks. So I was thinking a 3 inch lift. Is that all I need or are there any other things I need to do or buy to make it look good.

- - - Updated - - -

haha Im not a big fan of lowered trucks but thanks by the way!
  6. dsfloyd

it all depends on how high. The upper ball joints can get quite an angle and wear quicker. Larger tires add more stress etc. 3" isn't all too big. Most leveling kits are 2" I think. 3" with say 33" tires would look good and not be bad for anything. As with adding larger tires rehearing is important. Fortunately you have 1 less axle to do:lol:
  7. j_hop14

j_hop14 New Member

yeah im getting new tires soon anyway. So what does a leveling kit actually do? Would I get a lift kit and a leveling kit?(Sorry for the stupid questions by the way haha)
  8. dsfloyd

No you would get one or the other. Typically trucks will have a higher reader end than front end. Usually about 2". A leveling kit would then only raise the front end to make it level (until you haul something then the rear sags). A 3"+ lift will lift both front and rear once again leaving the truck level. For example my 6" lift raised the front 6" and put a 4" block (replacing the 2" block I think) and an extra leaf added to the pack. I then ended up replacing the 4" block with a 5" block and have airbags. so my truck has the rear end higher than the front again.

These aren't stupid questions. We have all asked things. some of us have experience in some areas but need help in others. Biggest thing is to look around and see what is even offered for your vehicle. tire size etc. that will all play a role.
  9. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

its your truck, do what you want!
    my truck is a 2 wheel drive, didnt stop me from leveling it out and putting a nice 3" lift on it with some 33's. i love it!
  10. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

yeah,,,,,go for it ....don't forget the Pics before and after....Brian from Canada---another 2WD Owner !!