Lifting a nnbs

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by Truckenstein, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Truckenstein

Truckenstein New Member

Well I have a question about lifting my 09 silverado. I was looking at kits online mainly the BDS and Im trying to figure out if all lift kits for the nnbs require cutting or welding on the truck. I just not sure if I'm comfortable with chopping frame pieces off of my brand new truck. also if you do have to cut stuff off is it a lot will it weaken my truck. I want to buy a lift like this week but i'm nervous.

2. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

it depends on how radical you want to go? But if you are sticking with a 3-6" lift you shouldnt have to. You could just get the leveling kits that will give you a couple as well. There are alot of guys on here with 07+ Silverados that are lifted so they should be able to chime in.

3. 2009silverado

2009silverado Rockstar

give us an idea of how big a lift you are try to achieve. vncj96 is right, you may be able to get off easy with just a leveling kit. I have a 2009 Silverado as well and have ordered 2" leveling kit for my front end.

4. Truckenstein

Truckenstein New Member

Im not going to crazy probably just a 6 inch because I want to use 35's and have them stick out a little bit so I could throw some bushwacker flares on it and ahve it actually look good. The BDS sight says you need a sawzall to complete the install of their kit so I can only imagine that that means cutting. Also another question if I do cut the frame will that void my warranty because if not then I really don't care about cutting it that much

5. canislupis69

canislupis69 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I have the BDS 6 inch lift. You do have to cut a cross member; however, the kit comes with a new cross member. I have had no problems with mine and love it!

6. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Every lift kit that we installed that required cutting or removing a bracket would supply a new bracket or brace to weld or bolt-in depending on year and make of truck. We never had a problem with BDS, Rancho or Skyjacker with fit or design. We had tried other kits be these were the ones that gave us no issues. Also what ever brand you chose upgrade to there BEST shock, youll be glad you did. As far as warranty between the lift kit and larger tires it wil void your drive train warranty. Your owners manual mentions that some aftermarket parts MAY void your warranty, these mods will. It will not void the entire truck warranty such as a/c power windows etc,etc.

7. Truckenstein

Truckenstein New Member

Well i'm thinking maybe going with a body lift then instead of a suspension lift so that I dont void the warranty yet and then in the future when the truck is a little older going with the suspension lift. anybody know what size tire i could run with the body lift and level and if the body lift will void the warranty. I see you're in Andalusia I'm right up the road at fort rucker do you have a shop or something like that because i was also looking for somewhere to get the work done on my truck

8. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Adding a body lift to clear 35's is not the way to go IMO. You dont get a lot of room for some parts and for electrical and could run into problems with stretching and chaffing the electrical. Just go with a leveling kit, you can still get 33's on with a leveling kit. Or talk to the dealership, they sell new vehicles with lifts and warranties. If you can get one and hve it installed by someone they recommend then the warranty should still be fine, just get it in writing from the dealership, the manager and service manager.

9. Truckenstein

Truckenstein New Member

Yeah, you're probably right there I think im just gonna go with the leveling kit with the 33's for now. I want to put some pocket style fender flares on it hopefully it wont look weird with the smaller tires and less lift.

10. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I agree with VNCJ96, go with leveling kit. Most dealers wont mess with you for a leveling kit. No I dont have a shop, but worked at one down in Fl. for 8 years. I was just at Fort Rucker air museum Thanksgivng week, good museum.