Lifting My 2wd Silverado

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by ChevyOwnerAllTheWay, Mar 11, 2013.

1. ChevyOwnerAllTheWay

ChevyOwnerAllTheWay New Member

Hey guys,
    I have a 2008 Chevorlet silverado, extended cab, silver, and of course 2wd. I want to lift it soon, but I have no idea what would be good. I have been told that a lift on a 2wd is stupid, because it would "Mess it up" "look rediculous" or "waste of money" I have always wanted a jacked up truck, nice tires, and sexy rims. My truck would look amazing, but would be descriminated against because it doesnt have the big "4x4, z71" sticker on its bed. My dad and I worked hard to get this truck and I treat it perfectly. But because of its 2wd everyone thinks it should just be a car, I dont think like that but I want to knock their socks off. I want my truck to look badass, but I need help. I cant decide what size lift would look good on it. I dont want extremely huge, but noticable. I want to turn heads down the road. Also, would a lift mess it up in any way? I plan not to touch any mud with it, thats whats my friend's trucks are for haha. Any tips you guys would be awesome. I just need help!

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_1505.jpg This is my truck

2. ChromeSilver02

ChromeSilver02 Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

First Welcome to the Club!

Second there is absolutely no reason why you can't lift a 2wd truck. I do not understand why people say that it doesn't look right, I mean it is still a truck. Plus you get the looks of a lifted truck without the extra maintenance and attention that a transfer case/front end would require. There would be no issues lifting a 2wd truck so no worries there. But a lifted 2wd to a lifted 4wd tire/wheel combo I am not completely sure about, since a 4wd front end might sit alittle higher stock than your 2wd.

3. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome! ChromeSilver02 hit the nail on the head.

4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have seen some nice looking 2wd with lift kits. There is one around my house with a 7.5" Rough country kit. It looks nice. He is running 35's.

5. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club, it's great to have you aboard. I agree also with [MENTION=48681]ChromeSilver02[/MENTION] and who cares what others think? It's your truck and you are the only one that needs to like it. Good luck man. :glasses:

6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Lift it, it's your truck and should be built the way you like it.
    I know plenty of people that have lifted 2x4's that get off-roaded regularly, they dont go everywhere 4x4's do, but with a good driver they get in and out of places you'd never expect a 2x4 to be.
    It's a sad fact about 50% of the trucks you see lifted with larger tires cant actually 4 wheel, most of them dont have all the parts like front driveshafts or front diff gears, I've even seen some with non functioning transfer cases regeared to only run 2wd. Normally the builders run into clearance or binding issues they dont have the technical skills to overcome so they simply leave these parts out, so it's only a 2x4 the owners trying to pass off as a 4x4.
    Theres quite a few manufacturers selling lift kits for 2x4's, from 3" kits all the way to 7.5" kits.
    I'd recommend keeping the lift mild, something around 3" and running maybe a 33" (or equivalent) tire. Tires should last you roughly 40/50k miles so in that time frame you should be able to decide if you'll be keeping the truck longer, if you want to lift the truck higher, and if you want to run larger tires.

7. Curky

Curky Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club. I have a 08 2x4 and I thought about lifting it but did not, I did level it though. Who cares what anyone say's it is your truck, do what you want to it.

8. ChevyOwnerAllTheWay

ChevyOwnerAllTheWay New Member

Thanks guys, I always looked up on google answers to the questions people have had that I wanted an answer for, and every time it had to do with a truck. I have always come to this site. I just finally joined, so thank you for the welcome. And thank you for the opinions, Im definitely going to lift it. But it wont be for a while, because my dad is making me wait til I'm 18. Im only 17 so i get to save up on what Im going to do to make my truck the best on the streets in my town. Do any of you have any idea of a reliable lift kit for what I am looking for. I don't know what 3'' lift would look like for my truck, I have tried looking it up, but it just shows so many different ones, I dont know which is which. I want my truck big. Im talking Camo Rockstar rims and everything. I just need to know what I'm looking for specifically so I dont waste my money. Thanks guys for the help!

- - - Updated - - -

And do yall have any idea what else cool things I could add to my truck? Im doing max4 camo headliner soon too, but any ideas what else?

9. Curky

Curky Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Need to see pics of the truck, that would help

10. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 3 Years 1000 Posts

If you really want to piss the 4x4 crowd off....... get some magnetic 4x4 decals you can take off when you don't need them.

With the decals on, they would never know the difference unelss they are looking under your truck..... :lol:

kinda the opposite of "de-badging" lol.... actually that is something I would do to throw people off...... magnetic decals are cheap.