light burned out in steering wheel controls

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by chevyman2004, Aug 7, 2009.

1. chevyman2004

chevyman2004 Rockstar 100 Posts

I have a 2004 Silverado with audio controls on the steering wheel. The light burned out on the volume control button and i was wondering how to change it without wrecking the button. Anyone else have this problem? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. EvilNetwork

EvilNetwork Rockstar

Tech manual will say to disassemble steering wheel. However, on all GM vehicles I have always been able to gently pry out the control switch with a small flat head screwdriver. Take your time to gently work it out. Replacement bulbs are about 2 bits each and you'll have to solder them in and out. Be careful when removing the bulb protector, its easy to break.

3. chevyman2004

chevyman2004 Rockstar 100 Posts

thanks for the reply, I'll give it a shot even though i'm not very good with working with small stuff. I kind of feel like a bull in a china shop,usually break somethiing but that light being out bugs me.

4. EvilNetwork

EvilNetwork Rockstar

Honestly, if you take your time it wont be a big deal. Just go slow. Once the switch is out of the steering wheel it should be fairly easy breezy.

5. nickpatton_189

nickpatton_189 Rockstar 100 Posts

yea i have the same problem, i thin the only ones that work are the little gas thing and the volume and seek. how about the 4L, 2H, 4H lights? mine are out. is there a fix for those also?

6. fmasias

fmasias New Member