1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

light wiring question

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by ArtO, Oct 20, 2013.

1. ArtO

ArtO New Member

Working on a 2010 Silverado. I am putting a set of 55 watt lights under the rear bumper for extra vision when backing at night. I know the stock wiring isn't really meant to handle this type of load for any appreciable amount of time. Being as I usually only have it in reverse for a couple minutes at a time, can I just tap into the existing wire for power ?? What says the braintrust ???
  2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

You should use a relay to give power to the lights. Have the reverse wire signal the relay, which you will need to provide with aux power, to turn on the lights you install.
  3. ArtO

ArtO New Member

That's easy enough. Thank you.
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Tapping power from the existing harness for the lights is asking to melt the whole rear harness.
    As Conlan said just use a relay and run a new power wire from the battery.
    Dont forget to put an inline fuse near the battery.
  5. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

@ArtO, the safer way is to use the trailer wiring. Use a 7 pin plug, or splice into the lead behind the connector.

I think it is the middle pin of the connector.
  6. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I know with the Whitenight System it has a relay in the unit and with the new Zxe's I Love it Backing up...:great: After being on the truck for 5 years no problems.. newlights4.jpg newlights1.jpg And it plugs into the factory harness
  7. ArtO

ArtO New Member

I ended up wiring them through the trailer lights. They work great. Thanks to all.