1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

lights behind the grill

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by nickpatton_189, Mar 4, 2010.

1. nickpatton_189

nickpatton_189 New Member

has anyone ever put lights behind their grill? i was thinking about it one day and decided to look and there is actually two spots that you could mount them too. has anyone ever done this? if so how does it look? and is it a good idea cause i dont wanna do it and the heat from the light like melts my grill or something
  2. imtbear69

imtbear69 New Member

I have never done it,but have seen a few and never herd any complaints or seen any warping from the heat
  3. ajarman

ajarman New Member 1000 Posts

I had a pair of KC hi lites in the grill of my '07 classic Z71. I had zero issues with the lights getting too hot and melting the grill. I think with driving and all the air moving around the lights keep them cool. It was an awesome upgrade and I am ready to get some put in my '08 Z71.

Go for it!
  4. hildy19

hildy19 New Member

That sounds like an awesome idea! I would like to do this since i don't have factory fogs.
    I'd like to see some pics when its done

Got any pics of this?
  5. Stealth

Stealth New Member 1000 Posts

Check out Amy's album of her old truck, she was running lights with halos behind her grille.
  6. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 New Member

I have 2 pait of 4" Pilot Fog lights behind the upper part of the grill in my Avalanche... I've had no problems at all...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  7. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Thanks Stealth!

I have 2 6" lights behind my grille on my 05' Silverado, and I have never had any problems with them either. This is the perfect mod for someone who wants more light, but doesn't want a light bar on there truck.

[​IMG]
  8. TRPLXL2

Here's a picture of behind my grille with the lights, I took two of the radiator shroud pins out and reamed the holes out a shred larger and put the bolts right through the top of the grille shell. DO NOT do this is you don't have a reinforced billet grille, because it will cause the unmodified factory grille to sag. A member on this forum tried this with a set, and the top of his grille could not handle the extra weight.

[​IMG]
  9. hildy19

hildy19 New Member

Thanks

Thanks everybody
  10. TRPLXL2

here is a pic of the off-road light halos lit up, this is something i made from scratch! this gives you a good idea of the location of the off road lights!

[​IMG]