Limited slip or?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by muuarren, Apr 7, 2009.

1. muuarren

muuarren New Member

I have been driving my truck for a couple of months. I knew early that it was not an open differential, so i presumed it to be limited slip. But recently I have noticed it does not act as I expect LSD's as it seems to grab all at once, almost like a locker. if one wheel is on very good ground and one is on very slippery, the one wheel will spin and then the other will grab, almost violently depending on the situation. Did these have some variety of locker in them or something else? Thanks

Matt

1999 K2500 Suburban, 7.4, 155K

2. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Yes. Check your RPO code list for G80, then search this forum/the internet for "Eaton Gov-lock" or "G80".

3. muuarren

muuarren New Member

Don't mean to sound too newbieish, but what's an RPO?

Thanks

Matt

4. azdrtdog

azdrtdog Epic Member 5+ Years 100 Posts

U sir have a gov lok a true piece of trash its not your fault. I to used to have three of them not all at once though oh no one after the other would explode on me during the mildest wheeling.One even grenaded in my front yard. NO joke so do yourself a favor and throw that thing out while its still in one piece not 40 miles out where it eats the ring and pinion as a snack on the ride home:lol:

5. 95CTburb19

95CTburb19 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

yeah it technically is a limited slip, but not one with clutches that tend to let the one tire spin for longer before engaging the other one. Some other other companies use Limited Slips are like that, I know ford does. The G80 engages a little harder and you get both tires spinning quicker. That being said, they are known to explode lol.

6. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

RPO=Regular Production Option code. These are 3 digit codes that GM uses to identify build options during production.

7. muuarren

muuarren New Member

So do i simply remove it, or should/must I replace it with something else. I like the limited slip deal, but would like to avoid the apparently inevitable grenadeing. Recommendations? Thanks to everyone for your help.

Matt

8. werty

werty Rockstar 100 Posts

:neutral:pRETTY sure somethings gotta go back in there:rofl:sorry had to do it
    you think youll be happy with the one wheel peel???:sleep:

9. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

if its not broken dont fix it, I have the G80 in my old truck with 250,000 miles on it original and it still works.
    but if you want to spend some cash you can put in a after market LSD or a Locker

10. werty

werty Rockstar 100 Posts

i think alot of g80 explosions are drivercaused....its not made to spin the tires...youre asking for trouble...its made to increase the traction...not be locked up at 3500 rpms
    :neutral: