Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Limited Slip?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by bluecow24, Jan 20, 2009.

1. bluecow24

bluecow24 New Member

Hello again. I have been trying to figure out in my Burb has limited slip rear or not. After yesterday's adventure trying to up straight up a driveway yesterday (no 4 wheel drive) and sliding back down the drive it made us wonder. I did a search on the forum and found one thread that stated if your glove box tag has G80 listed then the truck has limited slip. Is this correct? The only paperwork that came with it was the owner's manual so figuring out what it has and doesn't has takes awhile.

If I write those codes down and use the web page to decode them, will that answer all my questions?

Thanks!!! Michelle

2. bigjunk93yj

bigjunk93yj New Member

Yes, G80 is the RPO code you would look for to confirm if it is a factory L/S.

3. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

That may be true for the code but i dont think G80 was somthing that was around when your burban was made, I have only heard of this recently, like in the last 5 years. I could be wrong though, i know my burban doesnt have one, i can do the one wheel burns in the snow all day long

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
  4. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Factory limited slips have been around for a long time in one form or another. I was rather young, but they were putting clutch and/or cone type limited slips in in the '70's and '80's. The Eaton Gov-lock (often referred to as it's RPO code G80) was introduced in the late '80s (about the time they OBS trucks were introduced in '88, maybe??) and, as near as I can tell, was the only traction aid installed by the factory in OBS trucks. If the OP is referring to the '95 in her profile, it's very possible she has a G80 in there.

5. bluecow24

bluecow24 New Member

Thanks for the information guys. I went to the RPO site and looked at the codes for my year model and they do refer to the G80 as being limited slip based on the codes. I was curious because we were out on some nasty snow/ ice the other day and my husband asked me if both wheels were turning and I could only see the one but when I was in the truck it felt like both were.