1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Line-x vs rhino liner

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by chevyjeffgordon, Mar 31, 2008.

1. which is better
  2. finalday7

finalday7 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

As far as I know their virtually the same thing but I think Line-x is a little more rubbery to support loads. I'm not a 100% because I went with bed rug. :great:
  3. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

ive heard good about both... my friend has rhino in his dodge and its really nice but I dont have experience with Line-x so im goin with what I heard
  4. RatRod

RatRod Rockstar 100 Posts

I saw a test done a few years ago between the two and a pallet with 1500lbs was pulled from pickup truck beds and the Linex did fine but the Rhino got torn up in a couple of places.
  5. finalday7

finalday7 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Well that's good to know. I wonder if both were sprayed to the same thickness as it varies for every application.
  6. bostic8

bostic8 Rockstar

Ive had both Rhino in my old truck and Line-X in my current truck. NEVER again will I waste my money on Rhino lining it's line-X from now on. Has held up much better.
  7. Nosup4u

Nosup4u Rockstar ROTM Winner

same here have used both and line-X is the way to go
  8. sierraman

sierraman Rockstar 100 Posts

i would also say line-x
  9. MDM081500Z71

MDM081500Z71 New Member

Get a drop in liner!

I looked into both the spray-in and drop in liners. I've also had both on previous trucks. I opted for the drop-in liner in my '08 Silverado long bed. You can find info online about what they do to prep the bed for the spray-in. They sand the hell out of it to bare metal. The drop in is good because after you beat the hell out of it you can throw it away! You still have the option of a new looking bed or get a new one. For $185.00 I opted the drop-in with skid resistant coating and it was even installed for that price.

Hope this helps you guys!
  10. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Any shop sanding the paint to bare metal to apply either liner is doing it incorrectly. As per both manufacturers the original top coat should be left intact, scuff sanded, then cleaned with a tack rag and quality paint prep. The original paint coating provides a barrier coat for the liner to adhere to and is considered the primer coat to protect against corrosion that could otherwise form under the new liner medium.
    Drop in liners are fine but for best protection they need to be removed about once a year to wax and re-protect any bare metal spots caused by fluttering or sliding of the liner. This too is in the fine print on literature provided by some drop in liner manufacturers.
    I've had both types of liners, they both wear about the same and both require maintenance to remain effective. It simply comes down to how much money you want to spend.