1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Little pop

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by trentkoger, Feb 15, 2013.

1. trentkoger

trentkoger New Member

So my '04 silverado has this nice little pop sound that is coming out of the rear of the truck somewhere when i accelerate from a stop. It doesn't do it all the time but it originally sounded like U-joints so i replaced those, now i have a pair of rear shocks that i haven't put on yet. I'm just curious if anyone else has experienced this. It's driving me nuts.:grrrrrr:

- - - Updated - - -

Also i forgot, but i just ordered a set of Mickey Thompson STZs for my '04 silverado i was curious if anyone has run these and if so how well they wore.
  2. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I had this issue with my 2000 sil 4wd. when cold out. colder the temp the more it did it. after a stop like a red light on starting to move the drive train would make a thump and this could be felt. so I sprayed the drive shaft tail piece with silicone spray and this went away for a day or two only to gradually get as bad as before. I found out threw the dealership this is because of the transfercase fluid requiring replacement. the dealership did this for free under warrantee. now I just replace this trac II fluid every 30-40,ooo mi. so far it has not returned 140,ooomi now.

some have had to replace the bushing/sleeve because of wear or poor fit to repair this .spray this area with some lube when it does it if it goes away then you know .
  3. shibby2oo8

shibby2oo8 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I did the nickel plated slip yoke route because the issue will come back and I wanted it fixed for good. It was back in 08 and hasnt done it again. I think it was about $230.