1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Live and Learn - Stripped wheel hub bolts

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by dnp101677, Dec 18, 2010.

1. dnp101677

dnp101677 New Member

I have a machininst background, but tried to save myself some money (being the holidays and all) and do my own brakes. I've changed plenty of pads in the past, but never rotors. I decided to have my rotors turned (again trying to save money) and it was $40 cheaper if I brought them into the mechanic shop myself. Rather than research how to remove the rotors, I figured that I was mechaically inclined enough to figure it out...1st mistake. I ended up trying to remove the three bolts that hold the wheel hub assembly on and stripped two of the bolts.

Once I realized that I was trying to remove bolts that didn't need to be removed, I was able to complete the job. Brakes are in good working condition now, but I still have the two stripped bolts.

I was hoping someone could help me make a decision whether or not to just leave them or fix them. I want to fix them because they are bothering me, but maybe someone with more experience would advise not taking the chance of messing something else up by trying to drill them out, etc. I can buy relpacement bolts for $7.00 a piece.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Year make model??? that will help since the hub can just be changed and you can just cut the bolt heads off.. However if the hub is still fine i would leave it since once again depending on model they go out and need to be replaced and you would be able to just drill the head off at that time and press the bearning out and put in the new bearing with bolts at that time.
  3. grandparon

grandparon Member

Fix this ASAP; two out of three bolts being stripped is not good and you could lose the whole hub assembly. What was going on when they stripped out anyway? Overtightening while reinstalling them or stripped out pulling them off? In whatever case, fix it now.
  4. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I was refering to a stripped bolt head. Not a stripped out threads. If the threads are stripped you will want to do as Grandparon says and replace it ASAP!!!!! but with a stripped head i refer to my above post.
  5. grandparon

grandparon Member

I agree, if the head is just rounded off, it is ok to leave it alone until the hub needs to be replaced.
  6. dnp101677

dnp101677 New Member

It's a 2006 Chevy Silverado 1500 4WD. Yes, the bolt heads are rounded - the threads are still holding (extremely well). I was trying to loosen the bolts and they were so tight that hex rounded.
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  7. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I replaced my wife's Volvo rotors and they used a star head. I tried using a hex bolt for about an hour before my neighbor informed me that I had the wrong tool. Once I got the star and a decent long bar, it only took a little while to take them out. I don't know what GM uses, but you may want to take a look. As Murdog mentioned, it may not be worth touching if you don't need to remove them at this point.
  8. sll1966

sll1966 New Member

Line up socket access hole, insert HARDENED long bolt, weld it to the stripped bolt, heat hub, remove bolts, buy new, reuse old bolt(s) for future stripped bolts.
  9. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

X2 that's about the only option
  10. McClintoc

McClintoc Active Member Staff Member 2 Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

If it's just the heads and not the threads, thus the bolts are still holding firm, then just leave them - you basically have a non-issue. If just the thought of them is really bothering you that much, then get the new bolts. $7 per bolt and only 2 bolts? $14 will be the cheapest vehicle repair you will ever see.