1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

location of 4x4 actuator

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by buckmeister2, Nov 30, 2012.

1. buckmeister2

buckmeister2 Member

folks, I need to know the location of the electronic actuator, and how to service or replace it. I see a lot of mentions here about it, but a search did not turn up answers for me. Thanks for the help.

Jim
  2. j cat

j cat Active Member 1000 Posts

what actuator are you refering to ? the locking actuator is for the front axle differental gear box. the encoder motor is for the 4wd mounted on the transfercase.

what are the GM specific drive train failure codes?
  3. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

If you are talking about the front axle actuator, it is on the front axle, in the front, closer to the passenger side. It screws into the front diff and has a wire running to it. You just unscrew it and replace it. If you are talking about the encoder motor, it is on the front of the T-case.