1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Location of turn signal flasher relay for 2012 Yukon xl

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by yukonking, Nov 27, 2012.

1. yukonking

yukonking New Member

I need to change the flasher/turn signal relay to one that will add resistance to cut down the flasher speed due to LED light bulb I installed. I can't find the relay to unplug and replace? I can hear one location clicking maybe under the fuse box located under the hood on drivers side, I also hear the flasher sound coming from the driver door speaker after the first three flashes. (I assume the first there flashes are not 'broadcasted' due to the flasher in the mirror used for lane changing.) So, Where the heck is the relay, under the fuse box mentioned?
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club, when someone posts a question like yours, I usually try to google it, here is one of the answers I found: xxxxxxxxxxxx.

Sorry, it had a link that didn't meet site rules.

I found info that said it was on the driver's side near the gas pedal, and info that said it was at the bottom of the dash fuse panel (which should be on the driver's end, visable when door is open). Good luck with the search.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2012
  3. yukonking

yukonking New Member

Right, I combed the 'net looking for the newest models as GM changed the location from what you and I had found. The clicking comes from under the fuse box that is located under the hood on drivers side. I'm still looking for confirmation and assurances I won't screw something up by taking that big fuse box out to look underneath what with all the electronics in these cars.
  4. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

I found one reference that suggested there may no longer be an flasher module, perhaps (and this is me suggesting this) the Body Control Module is providing the flashing function.
  5. yukonking

yukonking New Member

I saw that too and that is distressing but believable. Yet that is a guess and I hope for some 'been there, done that' owner out there. On another matter, I bought chrome covers for the mirrors on this 2012 (you take the original ones off) and the rear facia that covers the trailer hitch (removable). Also chrome door handles yet to put on (complete factory handles not PUTCO covers). Those will be a tussel but at least GM sends 'how to' instructions for their parts. I have already put a Denali grill in to replace the stock grill, HIDs, LED/fiberoptic taillights and ordered a OGM1 Nav. So it is getting better. Also took off all the emblems, used the 'XL' a couple places and chrome GMC front a rear. Weathertech mats complete. Tri-White so the chrome stands out. Wife has driven a Yukon/sub since 1976 and won't have anything else I'm afraid.

I have the tail lights and grills for sale on Ebay. I should put them on here to i suppose.
  6. pmf608

pmf608 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I just thought I'd chime in here and say with 100% certainty that the 2007 and newer trucks no longer have turn signal relays. The turn signals are controlled by the computer and can be programmed by the dealer for LED lighting. Yes, its more expensive than a turn signal relay on the older trucks, but it can be done. All you have to do is go to a service department that knows what they are doing and ask them to program the turn signals to not hyperflash for LED lights. They do it on the chassis cab trucks that get bodies with LED lighting so if your dealer knows what they are doing, they can program yours for you.

Your other option is wiring resistors in with the lights, but I always advise against that because it modifies your truck's factory wiring and the resistors produce a lot of heat which I consider a bad thing.
  7. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Finding a stealership that knows what it is doing is more difficult than it sounds. The guys I've found have no idea what they are doing with a Tech II ... and are 100% reliant on a matrix that tells them if 'that' happens to download 'this' from GM and load it to the computer. Real mechanics are a dying breed. :(
  8. yukonking

yukonking New Member

Ah, great answers. I have emailed the dealer I bought this from about this. But, they are in IL and I am in NC...
  9. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

If you find a stealership in NC that has a competent mechanic who KNOWS how to use a Tech II in ad-hoc fashion, please PM me, as I'm in the RTP area. I'm in need of one ... and the ones around me are full of know-nothings.