1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Locking diffs

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Kraziken, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Kraziken

Kraziken Rockstar 100 Posts

Anyone install a locking diff on their Burb?

I'm pretty sure my rear is open, as I've had cases where I'm spinning one wheel in mud.

I've been doing a lot of researching and looking lately.

One thought is to install the G80 locker.

Eaton looks like they make a rear and front elocker for my generation (98). I looked into the ARB locker but I only see a rear application.

Of course installing a front locker is probably overkill, but that is how I am sometimes. :money:

Suggestions? I suspect installing just a rear locker or a rear elocker should be all that I have to worry about. I do go off road, but not usually in deep mud.
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

If your Burb is a 3/4 ton ARB makes front and rear air lockers.
  3. Kraziken

It is only a 1500.

Of course the thought came across my mind to trade up to a 2500 first. :money:
  4. vicar75855

vicar75855 Rockstar 100 Posts

so no front locker for '99 model k1500's:grrrrrr: that bites..... I was lookin to beef this rig up.
  5. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Probably better. If you have found a locker for the 8.25 IFS front, you'll probably end up needing a good supply of axleshafts.

BTW, as you are the first to claim to have found a locker for the 8.25 IFS, care to post a link to this alleged e-locker that fits our front ends? Not to be a doubting Thomas, but, as weak as our front diffs are, I won't believe that someone makes a locker for the front until I see it.

And, FWIW, I like my rear ARB. It's a little sticky sometimes (doesn't want to unlock), and it cost a pretty penny, but I'm pleased overall.
  6. Kraziken

You are right, I downloaded the Eaton catalog and read it wrong.

So it is for a 9.25 IFS. Guess the question is if I want to get serious, how much would it take to swap to a 9.25 ifs, or just get a 2500.
  7. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Go for the 2500. Attempting to swap out the front axle on that new of a truck is quite a task and very expensive. If you want a 3/4 ton, find one that's already 3/4 ton.
  8. Kraziken

Well, I think I've come to my senses.

I don't plan on rock crawling this thing, and probably not mud bogging either. They have solutions for the rear.

Rather than whole hog dump the rig and get into a huge expensive project. I'll probably consider one of the options in the rear. I'm guessing you'd have to get into some serious muck to need a locking front anyway.
  9. Kraziken

10. Prophet1990

Prophet1990 Rockstar 100 Posts

hmm not sure what its called

iv heard some where instead of a locker what you can do is weld the diff together so its one solid moving part. iv heard its called a "lincoln locker" here is an artical i found hope it helps.

Lincoln Lockers
    A Lincoln Locker is a homemade spool created by welding the OEM carrier so that the spider gears no longer turn. This is known as a "Lincoln Locker" by adopting the name of a popular brand of welding equipment made by Lincoln. This method can vary anywhere from relatively strong to weak and brittle depending on the strength of the carrier being used and the quality of the welds and where the welds are placed. In many cases welds thought to be strong are not and break under the stress. Lincoln Lockers merely replace the minimal cost of a mini spool which has the same net results in traction but can be removed later and the spider gears put back in place.

iv seen on the tv show "trucks" on spike that you can do this to make you have a solid posi axel, not real sure on this didnt want to try it when i had to replace my rear end so i hope this is of value to you in some way