1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Locking Hubs?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by novaman64, Dec 10, 2009.

1. novaman64

novaman64 New Member

Have 06 1500 (5.3, 4l65e) with 4x4 and a manual transfer case. I want to put on manual hubs, so Im not spinning all the time and burning gas, plus I am from the school simpler is better and I want reliable, not some electronic servo trying to do a bunch of stuff. I was wondering if anyone made a kit for these trucks. I checked Warn's website and didnt see anything...
  2. MrShorty

MrShorty Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

Since the late '80's, when GM went IFS, they've used a center axle disconnect (CAD) in the front diff to disconnect the front driveshaft. From what I've been able to gather, I don't think you are going to find lockouts for the wheels. There just doesn't seem to be a concensus about the cost to spinning the CV shafts. It appears that the bulk of the "cost" is in spinning the heavier driveshaft.

To get rid of the electric CAD, you might look at posi-lock (I think that's what it's called). It's a cable driven set up for the CAD. I see it mostly mentioned for the early '90's trucks, because the thermoelectric system GM used has a bit of trouble. I really haven't seen a lot of CAD failures for the electric CAD's like yours would have. It's probably debatable whether a cable is more reliable than the electric.

(But at the same time, I don't really want to trust the electric throttles they are coming out with. Cable driven throttles do go bad, but they've worked pretty well for a long time. Cable might give some peace of mind to those who mistrust electric.)
  3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

X2 what MrShorty said.