Locking Lugs

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by Crawdaddy, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Quite a while ago, my cousin and I each bought a set of locking lug nuts from AutoZone. He got to putting his on before I did mine. When he was putting the very first one on, the "key" broke, so his tire is now stuck on with no key to get it off. The key is an actual socket with a PLASTIC insert that forms the key part. Are there any locking lug sets out there that are made of 100% metal anymore? I don't want this stupid sh*t happeneing to me if I put the lug nuts on. Thanks

2. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

My Suburban came with a set from Gorilla Automotive Products. The key is all metal, and has held up just fine to repeated use. The only thing I worry about is losing the key.

3. Toymyster

Toymyster Rockstar 100 Posts

I wouldn't put that on my truck either!! Mine is from McGuard, it's all metal and has held up just fine!!

4. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I have a set of Gorilla's on my Silverado, and on my Blazer. All metal and work great!

5. Rumpamuro

Rumpamuro Rockstar 100 Posts

plactic key? no way i cant believe theyd even sell that, mine are all metal, every set i have, and a little trick too remember is never use the gun when taking the lock nut off! always use the bar! i talk from experience, not me personally but a guy in my shop class stripedd the key(the only one thing that can happen with metal).

6. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

my uncle was actually the one putting the locking lugs on my cousin's truck, since my cousin is "manual-labor retarded", also known as lazy. He was using either the factory tire wrench, or a 4-way of the appropriate size, and that's what freaked me out so much. If you can produce enough torque with your own hands to break the key, and still not have reached the appropriate torque for the nut, you've got one crappy product... I'll check out the gorilla and mcguard locking lugs.

EDIT: upon looking at the gorrilla locks site, it looks like I need the acorn bulge style, as I have the factory aluminum wheels, and I see the appropriate lug nuts, but I dont see the bulge acorn locking lugs. Will the normal acorn locking lugs do?

Last edited: Sep 7, 2007