1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

long travel?

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by npverhey1, Jan 20, 2010.

1. npverhey1

npverhey1 Rockstar

anyone on here have any expierence with long travel kits for their silverados?
  2. Greg84

Greg84 Rockstar 100 Posts

Well.. I've got deaver f87's and bms shackles in the rear, going to build a bed cage in spring when it gets warm enough to feel my fingers when working in the garage.. :rofl: Long travel definitely isn't cheap, I can tell you that!

Otherwise if you can sift through a bunch of stupid posts, you can find a lot of decent information on dezertrangers.com too.
  3. npverhey1

npverhey1 Rockstar

how are the f87s? that was my plan for the back...im thinking something inexpensive like a cst long travel kit for the front
  4. Greg84

Greg84 Rockstar 100 Posts

I haven't taken the truck on anything major offroad yet (just some small fire roads in the woods mainly), but for normal driving they're not much different than the stock springs for ride quality. With the longer rear shackles, the ride height is maybe an inch above stock. The rear end really squats more than it used to when you hook up a trailer though.

Sometime in spring or summer after I put in a bed cage and some better shocks I want to take it out to some sand dunes and see how it does..
  5. Stealth

Stealth Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Have you seen the way the TireGate company truck is set up? they have an awesome set of shock mounts in the bed of their silverado.
  6. npverhey1

npverhey1 Rockstar

yeah that white chevy? thats how i wanna do my truck up somthin simple i can drive day to day but still put my bike in the back and go mess around in the desert
  7. Stealth

Stealth Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

It would be sick if you could build a sideways mount that would mount your shock under the rear fender and give you long travel without poking out of the bed. some of the off-road racers use that system for blackhawk shocks. could be expensive though
  8. npverhey1

npverhey1 Rockstar

well I guess if you were really ambitious and you had the money you could maybe do a cantilever setup but thatd be awfully tricky not mention expensive...the other option is to push the shock mounts way back under the frame and run longer shock...a guy down my street did it for his exploder and hasnt complained about it since.
  9. minigun

minigun New Member

A buddy of mine had the CST kit. http://www.cstsuspension.com/products/sfID1/7/sfID2/8/sfID3/72/productID/93 It's probably the least expensive and easiest kit you will find and works pretty good if you don't plan on beating the crap out of your truck. If you want to hit whoops at 40+mph go with either the Camburg kit http://www.camburg.com/?p=412 or JD fabs kit http://jdfabrication.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=36&Itemid=63 These kits are much more stout and handle some serious off road abuse. You will need to fabricate or have some one else fabricate coilover mounts and some other stuff to install these kits. They are also very expensive so you better have some money saved up.
  10. npverhey1

npverhey1 Rockstar

Yeah and thats the kit im thinkin about doin...Hows your buddy like it?